• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
I don't think Volta or Turing for that matter were designed to do Ray Tracing in particular, it is just something the hardware can do along with the professional work these cards are for.

I agree with you. I've not seen any live RT gaming at Siggrah 2018. Just pre-rendered demo(s). It would have been nice to see Nvidia's Garden do something though.
But I have to wonder what 2080 is suppose to do to bring RT in gaming. Is this going to be like GW with certain effects here and there? Because that's what it seems to me.

Also, if the die size is as big as being claimed I wonder if 2080 will have some sort of Tensor functionality? It doesn't seem possible though.

Doesn't supporting it..... Only the now dead Volta and Turing onwards...
So why did they say it's faster then Pascal? That's odd.

Last edited:
Soldato
So why did they say it's faster then Pascal? That's odd.

More to the point, why didn't they say it's faster than Volta... which it clearly is. As I've mentioned before, I think this is because the gaming GPU's announced next week will be Volta based. And if that is the case, Nvidia would look daft if they came out saying how groundbreaking their Volta gaming GPU's were if just a week previously they'd exclaimed how Turing crushed it lol!! To my mind, there really is no other reason why they'd completely omit Volta from Siggraph as they did. It's not as though a comparison would have made Turing any less impressive, arguably it would have made it more so.

Associate
Boy, I sure hope nVidia bring back the GPP to help me understand which brand I'm buying, cos right now I gots me RX 580 and me RTX 2080 and I haven't a fugging clue what is what... ;)

Soldato
Could you take a look at this. Tell me what you think

https://youtu.be/cBf9Akj4HGQ?t=1h35m22s
From 1:35:21 to 1:37:18

Nvidia said MANY TIMES hardware RayTracing only Volta and newer.
He runs a comparison to software ray tracing with hardware one. And all this news is about hardware accelarated ray tracing at big numbers.
Even an ancient computer from 1979 can do software ray tracing let alone Pascal. But not hardware one.

Soldato
Nvidia said MANY TIMES hardware RayTracing only Volta and newer.
He runs a comparison to software ray tracing with hardware one. And all this news is about hardware accelarated ray tracing at big numbers.
Even an ancient computer from 1979 can do software ray tracing let alone Pascal. But not hardware one.

So that's where the 6X performance boost comes from? Even the host mentioned that it was off.

Back
Top Bottom