• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
I'm more interested in why Ti so early this time rather than pricing :p, if indeed the Ti is launching early? Marketing to get the Ti money on board earlier? Gaming specific GPU so can release the full range at the same time? A possible short lived generation? One or more of the above? Something else :D

Associate
If the prices are accurate I do think Nvidia have lost the plot, or it's 7nm and they are a bit greedy.

As they are releasing the 2080ti at the same time as the 2080, it's unlikely it's 7nm. The only reason I can think they are doing that is that the 2080 is roughly the performance as the 1080ti. (or the 2080ti is a GT104 chip and we'll see the a 2080 Ultra in 6 months using the GT102).

Soldato
At the risk of sounding overly dramatic... I can't believe this situation is happening,

You're sounding overly dramatic. :p

I agree, it's bad. I think we're all in a similar mindset in this thread - we have the money, that's not the issue here. Most purchases can be justified with perspective. The only perspective we have is the measure of the competition, so effectively we're paying for the best products, and therefore the ceiling is whatever the market will allow. Nobody is forcing people to buy these cards.

Soldato
I'm more interested in why Ti so early this time rather than pricing :p, if indeed the Ti is launching early? Marketing to get the Ti money on board earlier? Gaming specific GPU so can release the full range at the same time? A possible short lived generation? One or more of the above? Something else :D

I am going for short lived generation. They are going to use this period to clear out the last stocks of Pascal cards and hope to get a bumper sale of turing cards because of the long wait for some people for an upgrade. Then rather than do what they normally do, which is release a Ti months after the x80 cards and drop the price of the x80 cards, they will release the 7nm cards instead.

Associate
I am going for short lived generation. They are going to use this period to clear out the last stocks of Pascal cards and hope to get a bumper sale of turing cards because of the long wait for some people for an upgrade. Then rather than do what they normally do, which is release a Ti months after the x80 cards and drop the price of the x80 cards, they will release the 7nm cards instead.

I think you're right. Similar situation to the 9800GTX and related cards. But think how much the 3080ti will be when it does offer a decent step up in performance!

Soldato
Right so since these cards have ray tracing cores my assumption is on games with ray tracing they can really shine? Or am I off in my thinking i've not been following specs too closely.

Associate
Next will be a subscription service for drivers, 59.99 per annum for UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS*, or just 9.99 per driver download pay as you go.

*Hotfixes not included

Soldato
Honestly … as much as id love to dump upwards of 800 quid ( sarcasm ) 600 is my maximum here.... no ti here :( … I remember when that much got me ti's … 780ti and 980ti respectively .

I'm currently stewing. Even spending 500-600 and then not getting the top card is annoying me.

Still let's what wha see. 3 hrs to dissappointment....only Nvidia AIB and resellers will be happy. We will not be.

Soldato
Guys if we buy at near a grand, or over a grand for a 2080 Ti, you know the prices will be even worse next time..

Who will actually fork out near or over a grand for a 1080 Ti replacement?

If you have the money to spare, and PC gaming is your passion I do get it. No judgement here, just wandering who will pony up that sort of cash for a Ti replacement.

My wallet taps out at over £600. Looking like a 2060 for me xD Just cannot justify over £600 for a Ti *Morally*Financially*Ethically xD

Each to their own though.

Back
Top Bottom