Geil memory issues with AM2 system...

Associate
I think...

I've been having no end of fun (sarcasuim sadly :() with this new AMD X2 system of mine and so far have RMA'd it 3 times :(

Now having been charged by overclockers (whilst this might not seem bad, it is when they charge the card WITHOUT you knowing or even by having an email to say, they've found no faults and await decision or something regarding sending back) but ironically, I'm sending the same parts back with the Geil PC6400 2Gb pack back.

I'm now told it has compatibility problems with my Abit board so not to use it, which is news to me as a friend has Geil memory in his XP Mobile system and its fine.

But now my main concern is replacing the Geil memory (if it is indeed this that is causing all my problems) with something decent again. I spoke to a gent on Technical support today (I apologise I cant remember his name, was the manager of the department I think?) and he mentioned OC Z. Memory that I have had in the past and havent had a single issue with it. I've seen a few packages that I'd like some opinions on and wondering if it would suite a AM2 system ok..
Here's the few I've picked out :

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-7200 Dual Channel EPP XTC Series DDR2 - £212
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel XTC Platinum Series EL-DDR2 - £294
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel Extreme Edition XTC Platinum Series EL-DDR2 £354

Now I was thinking about the middle one of the three, as its the only one in stock and I was just wondering what you guys suggested?

Many thanks and sorry for the long post...

Associate
OP
I've the same memory as yourself and I'm told that's been the whole problem with my system.

Instability is a pain in the bum and I just want a working system. The memory I would like to get to replace the Geil would be something I'd like to use in a future system or two so I wont mind spending that bit extra.

I couldnt see any problems through the Abit website regarding the memory though :(

Associate
OP
Well apparently the motherboard was faulty yet again and the memory was fine, so, I'm waiting to get the stuff back, put it together and just see what happens... Hopefully it will work without problems, cos if not, I'm gonna go nuts! :(

Associate
OP
I was gonna say I couldnt get the memtest86 to work which was weird, I'd follow all the on screen instructions but nothing would happen and the disk wouldnt boot :(

I tend not to use prime but I will give it a go on the X2 CPU's see how it fairs up :)

Associate
OP
Apparently the CPU had bent pins and a broken pin on the CPU making it so that it doesnt boot in dual channel.

So why didnt they tell me about it earlier and why did the charge me to say that the hardware was working perfectly fine if this was happening? I'm not very amused or happy about it to be honest. But as the system works, I might contact AMD and see what they might suggest. Probably nothing but nothing to loose by sending an email :)

Thanks for the help with everything guys :)

Associate
OP
After it working perfectly last night, trying to turn it on this morning and its not even posting again... I think its just gonna be one of those days :(

I'll look into it, so thank you :) I'll also contact AMD to see what they suggest as well :)

Back
Top Bottom