Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election - only use the poll if you intend to vote

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 287 42.0%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Party

Votes: 67 9.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 108 15.8%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Plaid Cymru

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Respect Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scottish National Party

Votes: 36 5.3%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Sinn Fein

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • UKIP

Votes: 137 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Given that employer is in the business of making money who do you think will be required to be more "flexible"?

What is a citizens income?

Many employees also like to flexibility, I don't believe in interfering with an agreed contractual relationship more than necessary, and provided the employer isn't demanding exclusivity clauses or doing things like making their staff sit in the break room unpaid during quiet periods or not paying roaming employees travel time then the system is working imo.

I have worked in a zero hours job, it was only a problem when stupid management overpromised regular full time hours to too many staff, but my response to that was to take my labour somewhere else that had the hours available.

Citizens income involves replacing means tested benefits with a universal Income, my preferred implementation then involves offsetting that against income taxes to give a good security net and remove the benefits trap. The big problem for workers with flexible contracts is that a variable income doesn't work well with the means tested benefits system we currently have, leading to strange situations and unnecessary stress.

Man of Honour
Mansion tax is regressive as it doesn't take in to account ability to pay. I don't think the government should be forcing people to re-mortgage just to pay a tax for example.

The funny thing is you could replace the term mansion tax with excessive housing fine and keep everything the same. To randomly punish people for exceeding an arbitrary value is just mental.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Labour are popular still in Scotland & it would go do significantly better than another Conservative government (who get next to no votes at all there).

Last general election the Conservatives got only 3% less votes than the SNP.

While this is likely to change it will be more to do with Labour votes going to the SNP than the Conservatives losing ground.

Caporegime
Mansion tax is regressive as it doesn't take in to account ability to pay. I don't think the government should be forcing people to re-mortgage just to pay a tax for example.

So sell up and let someone else who works harder live there. That's pretty much what was happening to the tenants of the New Era Housing Estate before public pressure (and not the law) forced a climbdown.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
So sell up and let someone else who works harder live there. That's pretty much what was happening to the tenants of the New Era Housing Estate before public pressure (and not the law) forced a climbdown.

Aren't you being somewhat hypocritical as you considered what New Era were doing was wrong. Why is it suddenly OK when it is the government doing the same?

Caporegime
Aren't you being somewhat hypocritical as you considered what New Era were doing was wrong. Why is it suddenly OK when it is the government doing the same?

Well fine if any political party was promising to introduce say, German style rent controls then a mansion probably wouldn't be needed. However there is no law being proposed that I am aware of that would stop another New Era scandal, and people shouldn't have to enlist celebrities and fight to stay in their homes.

Soldato
Last general election the Conservatives got only 3% less votes than the SNP.

While this is likely to change it will be more to do with Labour votes going to the SNP than the Conservatives losing ground.
Which was my point, a vast majority of the SNP voters are likely to be more in favour of a coalition with Labour than having another Conservative government.

Man of Honour
Well fine if any political party was promising to introduce say, German style rent controls then a mansion probably wouldn't be needed. However there is no law being proposed that I am aware of that would stop another New Era scandal, and people shouldn't have to enlist celebrities and fight to stay in their homes.

If you don't own it, it isn't yours.

Man of Honour
Which was my point, a vast majority of the SNP voters are likely to be more in favour of a coalition with Labour than having another Conservative government.

If labour sell out England to make a government with the SNP, it will probably be the last time they get power at all.

Associate
If labour sell out England to make a government with the SNP, it will probably be the last time they get power at all.

Depends on the terms, if its one economically very beneficial to Scotland meaning England needs more cuts to compensate, expect the 2016 local elections to be fun for them.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

I wouldn't say 16% of the vote is "next to no votes". Which was the bit I was querying.

Caporegime
Dolph can you explain a bit more about the citizens income system and what you mean by how it's offset against tax?

Curious how it works, it like a "negative" value before the tax income that the state would pay you?

Ie all citizens get say 10k a year, then as you earn over 10k it starts to drop on a pound to pound basis till the state is giving you nothing then you start to pay tax after that value.

Soldato
It's basically the Negative Income Tax Dolph is a keen proponent of

Have a read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

There are critiscims of it as well as advocates of course, no system is without it's flaws, but it does seem an easier system to administrate than the bloated mess we have now.

One problem is the entire tax rulebook would need to be re-written, which is probably the main stumbling block to implementation.

And also, if the minimum income threshhold is set at say, £10k, it seems the NIT (or citizens income) only pays a proportion of the shortfall, Friedman proposed an arbitrary (we all know how much Dolph loves arbitrary calculations ;) ) 50%. So if the person is earning £6k, they would get an extra £2k from the state.

Working Tax Credits are a form of Citizens income.

And as for paying tax, you would either start immediately at over 10K, or even have a 'tax free' amount, so say you start paying at 15k and then it's usually combined with a flat rate tax, another of Dolphs favourites, but it doesn't need to be.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Dolph can you explain a bit more about the citizens income system and what you mean by how it's offset against tax?

Curious how it works, it like a "negative" value before the tax income that the state would pay you?

Ie all citizens get say 10k a year, then as you earn over 10k it starts to drop on a pound to pound basis till the state is giving you nothing then you start to pay tax after that value.

Tax is paid from the first pound earnt, and offset against the income to create an effective tax free allowance. So for example, a £10k citizens income combined with a 33% tax rate creates an effective tax free threshold of £30k. If you withdraw pound for pound, you risk creating a benefits trap as attending work has a cost, both financial and time, so you need to mitigate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom