Georgia vs..

Soldato
Hey all,

I've recently redesigned our corporate site at work. It's a departure from our normal style and as such I'm getting quite a bit of resistance to the changes.

Primarily, I think it's the font, so below I've included a few different font examples and I'd appreciate your comments, i.e. which you prefer the look of. A bit of lenience for the sans-serifs might be needed as the site was designed with Georgia in mind. Also bear in mind our industry and the other typical sites you would associate. Comments over the old site would also be welcome, amttraining.com.

arial.jpg
lucida.jpg
verdana.jpg
georgia.jpg

There is a development site here: http://amtdev.amttraining.com

I did think about mixing the two. WSJ (who I think AHarvey is referring to), FT and Telegraph all do it to some extent. I've really limited the use of sans to small text and inputs.

Unfortunately sans fonts don't like small-caps headings, which is why it looks like the first letter is bold. All I did to grab the screens was switch the font families.

Good feedback so far guys, thanks.

Cheers for the comments.

I do like Calibri, I did take a look. The problem is the disparity between that and Arial, so on devices where it's not available they default to arial which brings up font size issues.

I'm not sure if I can avoid it!

What's really troubling me at the moment is the 8-12 seconds it takes for the webserver to respond to the initial get request. Once that's done it's fast to load, but I don't know what's causing the ridiculous wait...

Back
Top Bottom