German Doner Kebab

Associate
OP
My son prefers the Quesadillas but I like the original. Must admit there seems to be some failure in the consistency of the product. down my side Reading is the best and High Wycombe is the worst.

Soldato
Finally tried one, they opened one in Peterborough at some point, and we were there this evening, and saw it and spur of the moment thing though I want to try that place.

It was really busy mostly delivery drivers so took 30 minutes to get the food, that ****** me off, but it was 7pm on a Saturday.

That aside, I had a mixed wrap large with garlic sauce.

It was ok less greasy than your average kebab place, and at £7.30 or whatever, a bit cheaper than the going rate these days for a kebab.

Yea it was better than McDonald's or KFC or any of those, and only a few quid more realistically, I'd go again.

But..... wasn't as good as a decent to even mid range Turkish kebab place imo, especially pretty much any around London.

Soldato
In the same way in North London the quality of kebabs is much higher than anywhere else, because there is a big Turkish population there.

Yup 100%, I used to live in New Southgate in North London even the average Turkish kebab places would **** all over German donor kebab.

There were a couple in Finchley Central which were not too far Durum and the other one Divan.... I think were another level, and we are not talking expensive pretentious either, like literally just above standard kebab prices and the food was outstanding.

They are still there I believe, Durum cook there stuff on an open charcoal BBQ inside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally tried one, they opened one in Peterborough at some point, and we were there this evening, and saw it and spur of the moment thing though I want to try that place.

It was really busy mostly delivery drivers so took 30 minutes to get the food, that ****** me off, but it was 7pm on a Saturday.

That aside, I had a mixed wrap large with garlic sauce.

It was ok less greasy than your average kebab place, and at £7.30 or whatever, a bit cheaper than the going rate these days for a kebab.

Yea it was better than McDonald's or KFC or any of those, and only a few quid more realistically, I'd go again.

But..... wasn't as good as a decent to even mid range Turkish kebab place imo, especially pretty much any around London.

Jeez, I didn’t realise it was so expensive for a kebab now, never had one for years and years.

Reckon it was less than £5 for an extra large one at that point in time.

Soldato
Jeez, I didn’t realise it was so expensive for a kebab now, never had one for years and years.

Reckon it was less than £5 for an extra large one at that point in time.

Yup, I mean I don't frequent these things much anymore, mainly because I live in the middle of nowhere for the last 15 years.

But I believe the going rate for a large kebab is more like £8-10 now, I'm sure it has gone up quite a lot in the last couple of years due to energy prices and to some extent that's fair enough.

But yea.... Gone are the days of £3.50 for regular or £4.50 for large, but I'm guessing we are of somewhat of a similar age if that is what you had in your head.

Associate
I had the wrap last week and it gets a thumbs down from me mainly because it was served cold. I sent it back and even then the replacement was barely warm so I thought it might have just been how they do it. I am fortunate enough to live next to loads of great Turkish restaurants so my expectations are slightly skewed :)cool:).

Associate
Yup, I mean I don't frequent these things much anymore, mainly because I live in the middle of nowhere for the last 15 years.

But I believe the going rate for a large kebab is more like £8-10 now, I'm sure it has gone up quite a lot in the last couple of years due to energy prices and to some extent that's fair enough.

But yea.... Gone are the days of £3.50 for regular or £4.50 for large, but I'm guessing we are of somewhat of a similar age if that is what you had in your head.
£10 for a kebab! I remember them being less than a fiver!

Associate
On my first visit they had run out of all meat. The second time I was not impressed with what i had, I doubt there will be a third time.

Last edited:
Soldato
The GDK near me (Oldham) has been closed for what seems like over a year now, unsure why, possibly hygiene related as heard reports there was mice in there, if it's changed management or just gone through refurb, unsure. However, the portions seemed mediocre to me and the food didn't seem that great in the grand scheme of loaded chips and kebabs. You can get cheaper and bigger and tastier kebabs from takeaways, and as to how healthy they are, no one would buy that food for health reasons so I wouldn't class as a consideration.

Soldato
Incredible aren't they.

Also have recently tried a German Donner Kebab from the chain and it was decent but it was £25! Ish for one sodding kebab! Crazy but it was alright
What? £25 for a kebab? Sweet Jesus!

I would sooner buy the kebab meat, pitta bread, salad and make my own natural yoghurt garlic sauce before paying that.

Even London area wouldn’t be that much for a kebab surely?

Associate
What? £25 for a kebab? Sweet Jesus!

I would sooner buy the kebab meat, pitta bread, salad and make my own natural yoghurt garlic sauce before paying that.

Even London area wouldn’t be that much for a kebab surely?
Ah it would appear I am wrong, it was on a Uber eats thing, I paid delivery but it was 16 for the kebab and £4 delivery plus I got an extra side.

I think I was in a hotel and hungry at the time lol

Caporegime
I tried a shawarma the other day in a new local place, not sure where they are from but they were playing Egyptian music. I only had 1 single Chicken Shawarma on its own as it was like a late lunch.

Really good, freshly made to order bread. They have their own Tandoori, fresh salad. £4.50. I am going back again this weekend I think!

Back
Top Bottom