• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

get a 7990 or wait for custom cooler for 290

Associate
I'm not sure what to do, get 7990 on sale now or wait and get a 290 with a custom cooler. I game at 1080 and currently have a 6970 which I bought on release day and want another GPU that will last me another 3 years.

Also I'm away all week on Holiday, so would not be able to have it delivered till next Monday. Would Overclockers be able to deliver it next week instead of this week?

In my opnion 2x 7950, 2x 7970 or 2x R9 280x are better than one 7990.. they will cost about the same and perform about the same, but 2 cards will run cooler and if one dies you still can use the other one while you return the fault one, also the resale value probably will be higher.

Even with headphones the noise from a reference R9 290(x) is really loud, so waiting for the custom coolers would be a good idea.

A 7990 performs better than a 290, but in the future you could add another 290 if you decide to use eyefinity or use a higher resolution monitor, also with 2x 290 your PSU will be enough.

You can order from OcUK and choose the delivery date without any problem.

Thanks for the reply, about being able to select delivery dates ;)

I tend to like dual GPU cards as they take up less space
and if I have this one it would be my third one I have had. I don't run single GPU cards in xfire.

I think you've almost answered your own question if you're comfortable with dual gpu's then the 7990 looks like a great card for you. It'll perform significantly faster than a 290 in games that scale properly.

I think your right, I nearly did answer my own question :D

I know what you mean about having a battle with your self, I've been looking at them all day on Overclockers and rereadin reviews on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom