Get a MBP now or wait?? (Discussion)

Associate
Joined
30 Jan 2004
Posts
1,364
Location
UK
Hi All

I am soon to be buying my first ever mac mainly to try the OS out because frankly it looks awesome! And because i need a lappy for collage and with the event of boot-camp it seemed the sensible thing to do :D

I am looking to investing in a nice 17" MPB. As i will get a really nice HE discount. But i am getting worried and thinking i should wait.

Mainly for leopard and i have also been reading a lot about the next revisions of the macbook pro namely the "Santa Rosa" Core which will bring 800FSB up to 4GIG of RAM and a speed boost up to 2.4Ghz and possible 2.66Ghz model.

And also the fact the chipset will be updated to true 64bit as the chipset at the moment only has 32bit addressing. (does this mean if i went with the current model i could not run leopard at full 64bit?)

And then there is the other big news...

NY Times reports on an advance from Intel which is said to represent "the most significant change in the materials used to manufacture silicon chips since Intel pioneered the modern integrated-circuit transistor more than four decades ago."

Intel is moving toward the 45nm manufacturing process and demoed45-nm Penryn chips during a press briefing. The Penryn chips are said to be available "before the end of the year."

Quote:
Penryn is essentially a shrink of the Core 2 Duo chips, with a few extras like the SSE4 instructions. It's being introduced along with the new manufacturing technology, the "tick" of Intel's plans. Then next year, when the 45-nanometer manufacturing technology is mature, Intel will introduce a new chip microarchitecture code-named Nehalem--the "tock"--with more significant changes to the chip design.
The advances in the manufacturing process include the use of new insulators and new metallic alloy materials in transistor components. Current Intel chips utilize a 65-nm manufacturing process. As always, the move to the smaller processes tends to improve performance and decrease power consumption.

The Penryn family of chips will deliver new laptop dual-core microprocessor, a desktop dual-core and a quad-core, and server dual and quad-core processors.

Apple will, of course, benefit from these new processors when they are released, and Intel has stated that the current prototypes are already booting Mac OS X -- indicating that Apple is already involved in early testing.
These new chips will allow speeds from 2.4 upwords of 3.2Ghz

Its really eating away at me as there is no concrete evidence for when OSX 10.5 will be released and could be as late as June. I just don't wont to be disappointed with my purchase as this is my first laptop away from my windows vista rig. And my first shot at OSX

Please feel free to share your views on this little news article. There are a few questions in there from me but the discussion is much more valuable :)

Thanks
XD-3
 
Man of Honour
Joined
14 Nov 2003
Posts
10,949
If you buy a MacBook Pro now you can rest assured that it will fully support Leopard when it comes out. The same rules apply to Macs as they do with PCs and that is to buy the very best you can at the time because as soon as it is delivered it is already out of date.
:)
 
Associate
Joined
5 Dec 2003
Posts
561
Location
Bristol
I am in a similar boat here, my MacBook recently got stolen, gutted. But I am wondering whether to hang on a bit in replacing it? Getting Leopard on a new MacBook would be cool as I wouldn't have to buy it afterwards. The other thing is that there has been a few rumours about a smaller MacBook/Pro being released. My 13" MacBook was awsome but a 12" would be even better!
 
Soldato
Joined
10 Feb 2004
Posts
5,116
Location
Crewe, UK
Ah but when you wait till the end of the year for your Intel Penryn CPUs Intel will release another press statement about it's next CPUs and how they will be on 30nm and octo-core.

You'll be forever chasing that higher spec!

All new Mac systems as of today are 64Bit and able to run leopard - you don't need to worry about that.

I'd say bite the bullet and buy that 17" Macbook Pro - it'll still blaze through OS X Leopard and most other things that you throw at.

Rich
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Jun 2006
Posts
6,012
Location
Kent
I've been thinking too much about getting a MacBook too, but after looking at the Leopard sneak peak page I'm waiting for that.

But Apple being Apple probably won't release a date of release till the night before. :(
 
Associate
Joined
24 Jan 2003
Posts
578
Location
Leeds, UK
glad thiis thread got created and a mini hijack on my part.

I too wiull be buying a MBP soon though due to getting married funds are going to be tighter so i'll be looking at refurbs. Now if I was to go for a Core Duo would I have any problems in the future? e.g Leopard?
 
Associate
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
894
Location
Sunny South Devon
ok so lets say you wait. then there is something else around the corner and you wait some more.................

see where this is going?

If you want one now buy one now, if your not going to need it till the summer wait till the summer, but if you keep waiting for the next revision you'll probably end up spending the money on beer!
 
Associate
Joined
13 Jun 2005
Posts
1,586
Founder_film said:
Getting Leopard on a new MacBook would be cool as I wouldn't have to buy it afterwards. The other thing is that there has been a few rumours about a smaller MacBook/Pro being released. My 13" MacBook was awsome but a 12" would be even better!
Any links to these rumours? A 12" MacBook would be awesome. To me, "laptop" means portable, not paving stone.
 
Associate
Joined
28 Sep 2004
Posts
1,151
Location
London
Mr.Clark said:
Any links to these rumours? A 12" MacBook would be awesome. To me, "laptop" means portable, not paving stone.

I doubt there'll be a 12" Macbook, otherwise the range would've started with a 14" model like the iBooks. The fact that 15" is the smallest form that MBPs come in is suggestive of a smaller model.

I imagine we'll be seeing a 12" Macbook Pro with LED backlight and massive battery life sometime soon. The rumours have been flying around since before Macworld this year:

http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/04/ultra-thin-12-macbook-pro/

Somehow I doubt that it'll have a solid state disk beyond using a hybrid drive.
 
Associate
Joined
29 Dec 2004
Posts
2,248
I've read that the current MB/MBP range aren't fully 64-bit capable. Obviously the Core2Duo chips are, but apparently the motherboards aren't.

This is one of the reasons i have been waiting for the next revision of MBP before i buy, does anyone know for definate that the MB/MBP use a 64-bit capable motherboard?
 
Man of Honour
Soldato
Joined
2 Aug 2005
Posts
8,721
Location
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
richieboy said:
I've read that the current MB/MBP range aren't fully 64-bit capable. Obviously the Core2Duo chips are, but apparently the motherboards aren't.

This is one of the reasons i have been waiting for the next revision of MBP before i buy, does anyone know for definate that the MB/MBP use a 64-bit capable motherboard?
Hmm, I've never heard of this. Do you have any articles on this?
 
Associate
Joined
29 Dec 2004
Posts
2,248
Here we go:

Linky

That does sound good, something to look forward to, as well as true 64-bit ?

Yeah, apparently the C2D is 64-bit but the limitation is the current motherboard that is 32-bit, from what I have heard at least. The next revision should sort that out, at least for the MBP.

I saw it on some develepors talk vid from apple were they clearly said with a picture and everything that the 32 bit platform still is, mac-mini, imac,mabooks,macbookpro's and only the G5 power mac an Mac Pro support 64 bit all the way . So i don't see how i can misinterputed that at all ;).

Core 2 Duo's are 64-Bit chips, but the chipset, i.e. the motherboard, is only 32-Bit, allowing less than 4 GIGS of RAM.

Obviously they may be wrong, but how can we be sure?
 
Back
Top Bottom