Getting a key fob to work (MK1 Focus)

Soldato
I've replaced the battery and entered the programming mode (4 turns to position 2) and heard the chime, but pressing the button on the fob does nothing (no second chime).

I've read about online and tried resetting the Siemens box under the driver side dash - nothing (apart from hearing the locking reset when the power is connected up).

I've also tried pressing the small door switch 6 times and tried testing the fob (apparently the horn will beep to register its working), nothing.

All I can think of is buying a new fob to see if the chipboard has been damaged by some violent pressing - and then program it? (If that will even work?).

Otherwise its probably the receiver, or I give up and take it to Ford.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
key in ignition in position II door closed and seat belt on press and hold button on key fob till it beeps..about five seconds....

from memory. so might need some tweeking

google says
Radio Frequency Programming Instructions:

1. Insert the ignition key and turn from position II (Ignition) to position 0 (All off) and back four times within three seconds. The car makes a noise that is the same noise i get when i open the door and leave the lights on.

2. Remove the ignition key. The locking control system is now in "learn mode" for the next 20 seconds. A red warning system LED (By the clock) stays on continuously to indicate this if you have an LED. I don't have an LED so i just guessed it was in learn mode.

3. During the 20 seconds press one of the transmitter buttons. The remotes signal and code number is learned by the locking module and is indicated by flashing the warning system LED. No indication is given if you don't have the LED.

4. Wait until learn mode times out (20 seconds) or switch the ignition back to ON. I just put the key in the ignition and started the car.

HEY PRESTO ALL WORKS FINE NOW

so kinda close

bullit

That's something I've tried already.

I think I just need a new button part of the remote. Don't want to buy one yet incase I've missed something.

Tried seatbelt on / off (not that my car even recognises this?)

I've seen fobs on ebay for 18 pounds or so. Something doesn't feel right with the boot button on my fob, I think the chip might be broken.

Bought a new fob from ebay for 13 pounds. It linked up straight away using the original technique I had tried.

Cheap fix, feels good avoiding garages.

Back
Top Bottom