Getting back into pc gaming making me anxious

Permabanned
Was a hardcore PC gamer 2007-2013 before I drifted into console land. But now the guys closest to me have families etc my one x just sits there.

Got my new pc coming tomorrow and to be honest I don't even know where to start with pc gaming communities. Gone are the days of Wow or Guild Wars where it was easier.

Sounds pathetic for an active 31 year old but I just can't help feel a bit lost going into it.

Soldato
For a start i would say jumping on the unofficial OCUK discord is a great way to meet a few people. There's quite a few on there, and a variety of games are played, depending on what you like playing.

Associate
You've missed some good stuff on PC over the last few years. What type of game do you favour?

Don't feel bad about your age, some of us are old enough to be your parents :D

It's a valid form of entertainment. Look at the revenue it generates. You should be more worried about people wasting their time watching TV and movies, what's that all about...

Associate
I saw your reddit post about this as well.

Honestly? Just pick a game you like to play and play it. You don't really need to worry about the community side of things. If you want to get involved in the community, check to see if the game has a Discord or forum.

Associate
Yea im starting regain my PC gaming joy myself (im 32) . Been through a phase of cba with gaming but its slowly coming back. Need to meet some new people to play some multiplayer with to keep it interesting i reckon. Need to get myself on the discord !

Been playing Batallion and enjoying it, reminding me of my CSS competitive days. Im just starting out though so im garbage haha

What games you playing?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Enjoy it for the next 12 months a significant majortity wil be dumping the PC for the new consoles :)

Especially as mouse and keyboard will be offical from day 1.

PC will become more niche, more expensive and expect hell of a lot more cheating :) which i why i will be dumping it.

Man of Honour
Was a hardcore PC gamer 2007-2013 before I drifted into console land. But now the guys closest to me have families etc my one x just sits there.

Got my new pc coming tomorrow and to be honest I don't even know where to start with pc gaming communities. Gone are the days of Wow or Guild Wars where it was easier.

Sounds pathetic for an active 31 year old but I just can't help feel a bit lost going into it.

Going into something new can make anyone feel a bit lost, whatever their age. Many gamers are older than you (like me - I'm 50).

Do you need a "pc gaming community"? If so, why? What kind of games do you like or just fancy trying? Steam is still the biggest PC gaming shop, by the way. GOG is still excellent and now does more recent games to a larger extent (which is why they no longer call themselves "Good Old Games"). Epic is trying to buy every game with their bottomless pit of Fortnite money so that no other shop can sell them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have put any money into making their shop or launcher fully functional or secure. The grey market for keys is still around, ranging from almost respectable (e.g. CD Keys) to so disreputable (e.g. G2A) that devs have been publically stating that they're prefer people to pirate their games than buy from those sellers.

Soldato
Enjoy it for the next 12 months a significant majortity wil be dumping the PC for the new consoles :)

Traitor :p what is upcoming that might make me turn traitor as well ? particularly as I hate using controllers and my last Graphix card cost more than 2 X boxes

Associate
Fire up your battlenet account, buy a sub for wow. In a month wow classic starts up and you can pretend its 10 years ago and spend hours dancing on the bridge in Iron Forge with a pitchfork while checking the AH.

Soldato

PC will become more niche, more expensive and expect hell of a lot more cheating :) which i why i will be dumping it.

Dont you generally find that the PC doesnt get dumped the console just gets bought and when they find its not exactly as good they slowly migrate back to the PC ?

I expect there are a lot of PC owners with consoles rather than just the console and sell the PC. People tend to like the best of both worlds.

Man of Honour
Traitor :p what is upcoming that might make me turn traitor as well ? particularly as I hate using controllers and my last Graphix card cost more than 2 X boxes

Some people are under the impression that the next generation of consoles will be on a par with a high end gaming PC and next gen console games will support the same range of input devices as proper PC games do.

I think they're being very optimistic. MS have said that they'll add keyboard and mouse support to the version of Windows on the next xbox, but that's a long way from console games having the same range of input devices that proper PC games do. I think the best that can be reasonably hoped for is that some games will have mediocre KB+M support on a console as a side effect of making a mediocre PC port of the game. The consoles themselves, of course, will be limited-use midrange PCs.

I might switch to a console for gaming if KB+M support is completely implemented by game devs and have a PC running Linux for everything else. While a console will always be inferior to a gaming PC, it should be adequate in most respects and I'd find them usable if they didn't have input devices fundamentally unsuited to human physiology and thus downright dangerous for older people to use much. You can get away with abusing your thumb at 20. Not so much at 50 or 60 or 80.

Back
Top Bottom