Getting iOS7 onto my iphone :)

Soldato
iPad 3 user here

I like it in ways, hate it in some others.

Performance seems the same generally from 6 to 7, I think my battery life has improved, whether that's a placebo effect or not, I'm not sure, but it's nice.

Agree with you as well, I actually don't really like the new look :( I brought a second hand iphone 5 as my upgrade this year and it has iOS 6.1.4 on it, I was so happy restored a back up from pre ios7 on my 4s and I feel like I am home again, going to hold off upgrading until I have to or they have the option to turn off all the animations and guff.
iOS 6 might have been boring but its flowed and worked well for me!

Cheers gents, thats enough to persuade me to stay on 6 until I am really forced to via an app. Not a fan of the icons for starters and can see the animations driving me up the wall in the long run.

Man of Honour
Chaps, as an iPad 3 user do you think it is worth 'upgrading' to from iOS6? I realise I'll eventually have to get it once an app refuses to work but I just want to hold onto whatever performance I have at present.

I have a feeling iOS7 will roughly slow down my device like I have experienced today on a colleagues iPhone 4... The animations are so slow it is dire when he unlocks the phone.

No, its horrible. Even the safari icon annoys me. They've switched things around. Im sure ill get used to most of it, and there are some nice things, but the entire look of it sucks as well as moving a few things about, like bookmarks in safari, which now means i have to learn to hold the ipad in a different way than the last 3 years or what ever its been.
I like the new look of the reception/battery top bar, control centre is nice.
Parallax is nasty and disabled.
Had to disable con trol panel in apps, as it keeps popping up when scrolling.
Agreed on performance doesn't seem to be much different, other than the launching/minimimizing app animation seems to take ages, i think thats something I'll stop noticing after a few days though. I think its just the its different so stands out.

Photos please tell me theres a way just too clump them together,
Having one or two photos per day is a total waste of space. Nvm sorted that, album > camera roll.

App preview and swipe up to close is nice, only showing three apps per screen isn't great. I find on tablets i don't really need previews, its not like i have several excel files open so useful to instantly see which is which. I would rather more icons than previews, so when an email comes in, email app is on the first page, even if its 5 or so apps from the last one used.

As a few other people app store always shows app update notification, but isn't any.

Overall Some nice features that have been missing for ages, some annoying switching things around for no reason. Total lack of innovation and the simplistic look i quite like, but apple have missed the mark, its so simple it looks like a two year old scribbled the safari icon. Where outlook.com shows ow simple clear ui looks really nice and simple without being retarded.

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Chaps, as an iPad 3 user do you think it is worth 'upgrading' to from iOS6? I realise I'll eventually have to get it once an app refuses to work but I just want to hold onto whatever performance I have at present.

Absolutely. Performance should be fine on iPad 3. It's only a little slower on iPad 2. Have a look for iPad 3 iOS 7 GM videos on YouTube if you'd like to get an idea of the performance before upgrading. You'll benefit from the additional RAM and faster CPU.

Soldato
Anyone else's iPhone 5 battery life even worse since iOS 7? 2 hours 53 minutes usage and 9 hours standby and i'm at 14% - only used it for browsing and twitter etc today too.

Soldato
Ive made the plunge and updated my iphone 5 to ios7.

There is certainly so some lag now when typing and generally navigating around the menus. Has anyone else noticed this? Its highly annoying and not longer seems like the fast os i originally bought an iphone for

Soldato
Anyone else find the video scrapping in iOS 7 is next to useless. I might be scrolling slowly through a video and then BAM it takes me to the beginning or end instead :p

Caporegime
Ive made the plunge and updated my iphone 5 to ios7.

There is certainly so some lag now when typing and generally navigating around the menus. Has anyone else noticed this? Its highly annoying and not longer seems like the fast os i originally bought an iphone for

Update iOS = Guaranteed slower phone.

That applies ever since the first iPhone and it will continue to do so.

Either go back to iOS 6 or take the performance hit. There is no way round it.

Soldato
Either go back to iOS 6 or take the performance hit. There is no way round it.

There is, I turned off cloud documents and data. Works fine now

loads of reports on iphone 4 and 5 -

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5318881?start=15&tstart=0

There is no way to stop white space and animations though. After using my phone for about an hour I now have a headache similar to what many others have reported.

Just in the process of getting ios 6.1.4 and restoring

I have downloaded the latest version of iTunes, and IOS 6.1.4 GSM (this one) - http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-3403.20130502.Xerz1/iPhone5,1_6.1.4_10B350_Restore.ipsw

Trying to restore I get the message 'iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible' Its 6.1.4 GSM. Pretty sure it is compatible :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
the Iphone 5s has UI stutter too, iOS7 isn't as well coded as iOS6 yet, and my iphone 4s didnt miss a beat on the updated iOS when the 5 came out, the 5c runs on same internals as the 5 and its a new model too as far as Apple is concerned. The fact is they rushed it out and its still buggy, which annoys me.

Soldato
Hopefully it will improve then. I also hope there is an option to turn off icons zooming in and out and sheer amount of white space when reading things like email and web pages

There's page after page of people complaining about headaches and sickness - I am one of them unfortunately (also reported in daily mail and a couple of other newsapapers, yahoo and some other big websites)

Man of Honour
Been using it for a few days and safari is a lot better in ios7 still annoyed they have moved the bookmark button, but compensated by enabling favourite bar.

The ui on the home screen and there icon design is still terrible and looks horrid. Still don't like the animation, is there away to switch that off? (The animation for opening/minimising apps), already turned parallax off, just why would you want/need that.

Soldato
Anyone else find the video scrapping in iOS 7 is next to useless. I might be scrolling slowly through a video and then BAM it takes me to the beginning or end instead :p

Yep its utterly terrible.. I have even tried all the different settings down to fine and it just jumps about all over the place.. Mine is an Iphone 4S BTW.

Man of Honour
Anyone else get this, email notification on the icon, doesn't remove itself after going in and reading/deleting email.
And only updates after you open and close the email app 4 or so times. Its annoying worked fine in ios6

Soldato
Strange issue - I checked usage last night and it said I had to charge it fully before being able to see the usage - only I fully charged it Sunday night, taking it off charge Monday morning

I worder if it can only display so much standby time now as it generally dies before then!

Soldato
Activation Lock is a bit of an issue in a workplace. We deploy iPads to staff, and when they leave they give them back (obviously). However, with iOS7, the iPad is now linked to their account, so when they leave we have no way of getting into it, even with a restore.

Its fixable by getting them to disable Find My iPad before they go, but was quite annoying being left with a now bricked iPad 4.

Soldato
Does anybody else have issues clearing old messages from the Messages app?

Even if I delete every conversation in the app, there is no decrease in the size of Messages (Saved)!

Back
Top Bottom