Getting kids into programming

Man of Honour
My 8 year old lad has shown some aptitude for coding and I’d like to get him involved in some sort of structured learning that he will enjoy.

I’ve found this - https://codekingdoms.com/

He plays Roblox so it should hold his interest. Do any parents here have experience of their courses?

Are there any other providers you would recommend for sparking, and more importantly holding an interest for an 8yo?

Thanks!

If you are able to support him, a BBC microbit is a good way to get into it. You can drag/drop code to start, and work up to proper programming. It has a bunch of sensors, we made a "pet" that showed a smiley face if it was warm & light, etc...

If you are able to support him, a BBC microbit is a good way to get into it. You can drag/drop code to start, and work up to proper programming. It has a bunch of sensors, we made a "pet" that showed a smiley face if it was warm & light, etc...

I remember an old vid on eevblog channel where he is using the microbit with his son, looks fun for kids.

IIRC you can use Lua to customize things in Minecraft if that's his thing. You have to learn about things like state and so on to do what you want.

Disclaimer - I did this with Jr about 15 years ago!

Back
Top Bottom