Getting more +more confused about psu's.

Associate
Right well after my 400w Enermax Liberty went bang I phoned up and got an rma number which means I am back in the market for a decent power supply, I have up to £100 to spend and even though at the moment the rig is fairly basic, in the next couple of months I will be moving to a dual core Intel and a X1800/X1900.

So the power supply has to be pretty powerful, now this is where I got confused, I always though that more amps on the 12v line was what to look out for combined with high output power, my 400w Liberty had 2 12v rails of 20a but looking around it appears that the Seasonic 600w only has 2 12v rails of 18a, so which would give the best power.

Im guessing that even though a rail is rated at say 20a it might not be able to supply that all the time if its under 500w :confused: this is where I started to get confused, I dont mind about dual rails psu's because even if I did go cf/sli in the future, its not hard to get a pci-express adapter and put 1 on a seperate rail.

So what do I need to look out for and what recomendations do you have for a decent supply which will last a while, should I bite the bullet and try another Liberty or maybe look for something else.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, I have had a look around at the 580w Tagans, they seem to supply 2 12v rails of 20a with the ability to combine them to 35a single rail. I had a 480w Tagan in the past and never had 1 problem with it so I might decide on a 580w version.

Looking about though there seems to be two versions of the 580w, a U15 + a U22, is the only difference between the two the fact that one is modular and one isnt, I have had a look at Tagans website and they both have the same power and the rails switch.

Back
Top Bottom