Getting started in digital art.

Associate
Looking for some advice from the talented artists on here. I have a Wacom tablet and manga studio 5 not that the program matters.
As a newbie to digital art and art in General, what would you say the best start is?
Learning to do line art over someone else's sketches, or inking someone else's line art?
What style would you reccomend to start with?
Basically I want to be able to make nice images, this is just a hobby so I'd like something that won't dishearten me straight away if that makes sence.
Also just as an aside how long do you normally take on drawings/art?

Soldato
Looking for some advice from the talented artists on here. I have a Wacom tablet and manga studio 5 not that the program matters.
As a newbie to digital art and art in General, what would you say the best start is?
Learning to do line art over someone else's sketches, or inking someone else's line art?
What style would you reccomend to start with?
Basically I want to be able to make nice images, this is just a hobby so I'd like something that won't dishearten me straight away if that makes sence.
Also just as an aside how long do you normally take on drawings/art?

Have a look in the GD area, there is an ongoing art thread and an old learning thread that has probably long been forgotten.

The art thread has a lot of work in there, animation, painting and 3D work etc

Soldato
I do graphic/3d design (also did art at college) for a living and we get this type of question A LOT on forums.

My (and others) usual answer - start with pen/pencil and paper, honestly if you can't get your basic ideas down with this medium you will struggle just using a wacom and screen in my opinion.

There's a LOT of other things to consider in art, composition, colour theory, perspectives, the list could go on but they're the most common topics needed. I'd honestly recommend a college art course if you can get one.

Style of work... honestly find work you like and try and emulate it, but bare in mind you may not be best suited to that style of work, so try a few different styles.

Time for a piece of work.. how longs a piece of string.

No matter what level of skill you wish to achieve you will need to practice but just be aware that digital art (art/design in general) isn't for everyone despite what people owning photoshop might say :)

Back
Top Bottom