Getting the bike back on the road HELP

Soldato
Hi.

Have a motorbike which I've not used for some 5 years since my daughter was born.

Been kept in the dry garage, covered

Has no battery, as disconnected it a long time ago and need to replace that.

Obviously it will need MOT and perhaps a service as I am not mechanically minded.

Anything else I should check as fancy getting out for a little ride whilst weather nice.

Will of course find some insurance too.

Whats cost of a service and mot these days

Hope my leathers still fit!!

Yamaha FZS600 Fazer. 2003 I think.

Soldato
Probably going to need new tyres and lube up all the moving parts like clutch, throttle etc. I'd drain and change the oil and coolant too, if you've no kit like drain pans or paddock stand you're probably looking about 150 all in. If you can get the air filter too do that. YouTube is king for videos and I bet it'll be cheaper than getting a mechanic to do it.

Soldato
As said, get a new battery, spark plugs, fully drain and replace fluids, lube up any thing that moves, new tyres etc.

The main issue I feel you'll have is the carbs... Depending on the state they were left in, they'll probably need stripping down and a proper sort out.

If you're not confident or competent, there's always Haynes manuals and Youtube, just take your time and do it as a project.

Soldato
Yea you might have gummed up the carbs.

If you are lucky drain fuel tank completely put new petrol in, premium unleaded and redex and keep your fingers crossed. Do that before you try and start it.

It might go, if it starts up you'll probably be ok.

Associate
In terms of the carbs, they are not hard to clean yourself if you have time and patience and a little knowledge. Most of the time it is just a case of removing the fuel tank and air filter box to get down to them. I had to do it on my last bike, Fireblade, that had sat for 3 years after last being run up and down a beach.

If it was me I would take the fuel tank off and drain that. I would dump the oil and refill with fresh. Buy a new battery and put that on. Then I would rig up an aux fuel tank, you can use something crude like a cut down coke bottle (wash it out obviously!), attach a piece of fuel piping to it and then to your carbs. Put a little fuel in the bottle and make sure it is above the height of the carbs and try to turn it over, see what happens. Then go from there.

As everyone else has said, for that amount of time you will need all fluids - brake, coolant etc. Just time and patience. Haynes manuals are god sends, youtube too.

jcr

jcr

Associate
take out the spark plugs and put about a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder before trying to start for the first time. turn the engine with no leads attached so the oil can coat the bores before firing up.

Back
Top Bottom