Getting the inside tidy

Associate
Ok, so I took some advice from this forum and ordered an Akasa Zen. Now, I'm no stranger to building a PC but have never done anything other than a simple 'put the bits in and connect em up, test and close the case'.

This time I'd like to try to keep the inside of the machine nice and tidy, can anyone offer any advice on the best way to achieve this, i.e. where the hell do you people hide all the cables away. I don't have ribbon cables but round ones instead so that must help a little bit.

I've seen pictures of some of your builds and think that all you gear must be wireless compared with my setup that looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory.

So, any advice/pointers anyone?

Willow

Sel

Sel

Associate
I'm with you on that one, my cables never quite reach when I want to make them tidy either. Also if I use cable ties you can bet your life something goes wrong and I have to remove them.

Associate
GWillow said:
Ok, so I took some advice from this forum and ordered an Akasa Zen. Now, I'm no stranger to building a PC but have never done anything other than a simple 'put the bits in and connect em up, test and close the case'.

This time I'd like to try to keep the inside of the machine nice and tidy, can anyone offer any advice on the best way to achieve this, i.e. where the hell do you people hide all the cables away. I don't have ribbon cables but round ones instead so that must help a little bit.

I've seen pictures of some of your builds and think that all you gear must be wireless compared with my setup that looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory.

So, any advice/pointers anyone?

Pics....Pics....Pics..... :D

Willow

Associate
Ive used cable ties to tie cables which are close together and tucked them behind the Hard drive cage and also inside the drive bays which are empty of course. Must admit it did drop 1-2 degree's as there was a couple in front of the intake fan. Also depending on what case you can hide them behind the MOBO tray but in mine theres no access from where the PSU is to the rear but mine still looks very neet and tidy.

Sel

Sel

Associate
My first PC which I bought ready built was very nice but they did go over the top I think, it had cable ties and they also used a glue gun to hold them in place which was a pain when I had to install a new drive.

Eversince I built my own, I don't use a transparent case I hate to see the mess.

Soldato
I think that your better off not 'hiding' wires by stuffing them places, but presenting them nicly.

this includes braiding with those 'chinese finger trap' type braids, and just using lots and lots of zip ties and sticky pads.

i used to go down the hiding route but now i prefer to see the wires, but just more orcanised in a nice tight loom.

Rick

Permabanned
some people reverse mount their hard drives to hide the cabling behind the f.panel.
Some even drill holes in the mounting plate and feed the cables out and then back in again

if you bend the cable feeding the motherboard into position, and then use lots of small cable ties, it holds its shape. So you can get nice 90deg bends around the PSU casing. Push the spare wire back into the PSU.

Hot glue the fan cable down onto the motherboard, three tiny wires are a bit small to cable tie properly.

you can get little 90deg metal plates used in some kitchen cabinets. fix these around the motherboard mounting plate with self tapping screws, and use them as handy cable attachment points

:)

Associate
If you can`t reverse your Hard Drives, you could mod the power supply Cable to the Drives,and use the Sata Cables with the 90 degree connector.It tidies things up a bit ;)

Associate
Well,that`s the one thing i hated about the Enermax PSU,in fact most of them, a Molex then a Sata and so on.It`s just plain annoying, and with most of the Sata plugs just being a case of taking off the top and pushing the cables into the connector,it`s an easy way to solve the problem :D

Back
Top Bottom