GFX CARD + MOTHERBOARD - £250 Spec Me

Associate
looking to upgrade my motherbaord and gfx card -

currently running:

amd 3700+
1gb geil value RAm

I am upgrading cos i want to run newer games, faster!!!! plus my old gfx card has had it

Last edited:
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS) £70.44 Including VAT

PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 GTO 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-061-PC) £170.32 Including VAT

£240.76 inc VAT

£250.46 inc VAT + Delivery

will you be overclocking?

If yes try an DFI or MSI mobo I dont know anything about MSI tho just reading in between the lines as some ppl say they are good overclockers...

However DFI mobo's are great overclockers....

What res will you be gaming at?

I'd go for this:

Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS): £70.44 Including VAT
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-121-SP): £187.94

Total: £258.38

£8 over budget but it should perform really well. The X1800XT's on this week only so be quick :)

Is There a big difference between an x1800 with 256 and one with 512mb?

also is the k8-ne the mobo to go for and if so why over others at the same price?

MB-046-MS MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS)
£64.95 £64.95
GX-044-CO Connect3D ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-044-CO)
£189.95 £189.95
Subtotal £254.90
VAT £44.61
Total £299.51

I know you said your budget is £250, but the extra £50 is worth it in this case IMO.

The Asus mobo is okay, but this MSI is much better. As far as the gfx card goes the X1800gto is nowhere near as good as the xt.

I think im set on the:
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-121-SP)

£187

but am still undecided on the motherboard? i had a look at the msi and it looks good

basicly im set on the gfx card - so the question is:

WHICH MOTHERBOARD FOR £75 - or thereabouts?

I own a raptor so having high speed SATA is important and dont have a soundcard so onboard sound is quite important

So MSI It is!! why is the Nforce chipset better than the ATI equivilant??

also ive heard such good things about DFI, i thought that would be the obvious choice

For me, since i use the onboard LAN and Sound these two features are very important so if one of the three boards listed above come with better onboard sound / LAN then that will certainly tip the scales!!

duncsharp said:
So MSI It is!! why is the Nforce chipset better than the ATI equivilant??
The crossfire chipset is very good, but has stability issues at times with bios etc and there have been a lot of RMA's recently with various types.

duncsharp said:
Also ive heard such good things about DFI, i thought that would be the obvious choice
The DFI Boards are excellent, but only really required for serious overclocking and unless you need it the extra £20 is a waste of money.

duncsharp said:
For me, since i use the onboard LAN and Sound these two features are very important so if one of the three boards listed above come with better onboard sound / LAN then that will certainly tip the scales!!
Most nForce 4 boards should be pretty much the same for all of these things!

Back
Top Bottom