Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Soldato
I enjoyed it very much and it was great fan service and you can really see how the CGI has improved on faces.

Only bit I was confused by was the very end credit sequence where
Ernie Hudson directed Ecto-1 into what seemed like the Firehouse but it was apparently a Starbucks now? Unless it was a different Firehouse?
it's either a continuity error as the firehouse scene was a reshoot done last year.

or it was never a Starbucks and Ray was just bitter and there's that joke about Starbucks being everywhere

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Appeals to new and old audiences without box ticking. I hope they make more.

I loved they brought back the music for the more exploratory and comedy scenes. Really brought me back to the originals. It's something modern movies miss out on but it adds to the magic of it.

Soldato
Very disappointing. Relying too much on nostalgia than coming up with its own, decent storyline. Only decent actor in it was Grace (forget her surname...the main girl). Even Paul Rudd was poor/wasted.

Gutted. 4/10. Can't think of anything it did particularly well; wasn't funny, script was below part, kinda boring for the most part.

Soldato
Did you watch the same film as the rest of us?

It was a great passing of the torch from old to new and using Gozer etc was the perfect way to do that. McKenna Grace and Logan Kim(podcast) were both brilliant and very funny. Post credit scene leaves a good opening to continue to story with the cast or a new group of busters.
Winston business means that he can fix up the car and reopen the firehouse. Also the business being international means possible GB international franchises.

I think there was just enough nods and links to the past and compared to some franchise revivals it did most things really well

Soldato
It was a great passing of the torch from old to new and using Gozer etc was the perfect way to do that. McKenna Grace and Logan Kim(podcast) were both brilliant and very funny.

Yeap, I'm not a fan of child actors the vast majority of the time but these two did really well. I liked the whole film really, I mean yes it had some fairly obvious story issues but it was easy enough to ignore them when the good moments were just soooo good.

Soldato
Yeap, I'm not a fan of child actors the vast majority of the time but these two did really well. I liked the whole film really, I mean yes it had some fairly obvious story issues but it was easy enough to ignore them when the good moments were just soooo good.
The fact as well is that this was Logan Kim's first proper acting/movie roll says it all and he is a natural.

Caporegime
OP
The fact as well is that this was Logan Kim's first proper acting/movie roll says it all and he is a natural.

I found it amusing when he was wearing the ecto goggles because of the inclusion of the camera into them there was nowhere to see out of, so he was acting essentially blind in those scenes. Can't have made turning on the pack an easy task.

Soldato
Well I didn't hate it. It was fairly good.
Created for a younger generation in a new style, so whilst it's not got the nostalgic feeling of a classic GB, it wasn't anywhere near as terrible as the last.

I suppose if you were to use the first as 10/10 the last incarnation as a 1/10 this would get a solid 7

My only gripe will be that it needed to be scarier, whilst the originals had comedians in, it was pretty creepy. Maybe that's cause I was a kid, but this one didn't have any of that. They should have scared the kids a little rather than it being basically a scifi action film.

Soldato
sure it wasn't original and a kids film, and i could pick lots of holes in it if i wanted too... but i really enjoyed it.
it was a fitting love letter to the original and Ramis in particular

Soldato
Didn't like it, they should have made a third film decades ago or not all now, better than the 2016 but the bar isn't high to beat that, maybe if I was 12 I could enjoy it, lots of holes to pick, it was EP7 all over again although the script was better and the new blood more likeable as characters although kid knowing everything about everything was annoying

having the 3 OG's come at the end of the film and the little screen time they had it was just badly written and felt forced and dialled in by them

Also what's up with no reference to GB2?

Soldato
There was a number of references to GB2
Ray's Occult store being the biggest, but the toaster and giga meter are also in the bunker.

but as the story was focused on Gozer qnd the events of 84 that's why ut wasn't actually spoke about.

Soldato
Same. I was I was initially worried they'd turn this into Stranger Things with lazer beeeaaams. However Pheobe stole the show, with Podcast very close and I had read that the mum was useless - I actually enjoyed her part. The Stranger Things lad imo could have been use a lot better.

I am currently re-watching The Haunting of Hill House as I am introducing the missus to the show. I had pointed out to her that 'Young Theo' is an awesome young actress. She pointed out to me that she is Pheobe in Ghostbusters!

Caporegime
OP
It went from okay to oooooh this is cool in the last 15mins.

The ending makes it, otherwise it's a meh. The main character (the young girl) was brilliant though, she steals every scene.

There were some areas it definitely could have been better:

Ivo Shandor was a pointless addition and it would have made more sense if the town he built was the last refuge of the Gozer cult with town members being participants in rituals etc. I could see it having a scene where they're performing the ritual just as Gozer appears and then proceeds to tear through them all, though might be a bit much. They could have elaborated a bit more on the cult and had some flashback scenes to the Miners throwing themselves into the pit as willing sacrafices, and have flashbacks to old rituals taking place. Would have fleshed the story out a bit more and given it more depth.

The terror dogs were pretty useless in the last few minutes of the movie, Gozer has to restrain them from attacking at one point but as soon as she's on the backfoot they just stand by and do nothing. It would be one thing if they were also being hit by the proton beams but it's clearly just Gozer with the 2 mutts standing back doing nothing. Theyre meant to be her servants\protectors which makes them doing nothing very odd. I think the issue there was basically everyone with a proton pack was focused on gozer with trevor powering the conductors so there was really nothing left to hit the terror dogs with, so the scene focused on gozer and sort of excluded the mutts.

Overall i was happy with the movie though as said above i think they really did miss out on some plot points that would have made it overall a better movie.

Back
Top Bottom