Gigabyte Aero 15

Associate
Received mine today. Overall I'm happy with the build quality but there are a few niggles I'm going to play with over the next few days to see if they iron themselves out. I've been playing with it a few hours getting it set up but the trackpad seems jittery/jumpy/twitchy and has left clicked on a few occasions when I don't think it should have. The other niggle that may start to annoy me is the fact the backspace is sticking at the bottom. I think this is only when I hit it in the top left corner, if I give it a good tap it can stick for a few seconds. I've not seen anybody else mention these issues anywhere so we'll see!

Associate
Received mine today. Overall I'm happy with the build quality but there are a few niggles I'm going to play with over the next few days to see if they iron themselves out. I've been playing with it a few hours getting it set up but the trackpad seems jittery/jumpy/twitchy and has left clicked on a few occasions when I don't think it should have. The other niggle that may start to annoy me is the fact the backspace is sticking at the bottom. I think this is only when I hit it in the top left corner, if I give it a good tap it can stick for a few seconds. I've not seen anybody else mention these issues anywhere so we'll see!
I have raised the two issues with Gigabyte support so shall see how it goes. Not the fastest as there's no telephone support and the online ticket suggests 3-5 days response times but from what I've read their support is very good.

Associate
Hello guys,
I'm thinking of buying the aero 15. But before making a decision I'd like to hear your opinions.
1. What are the current issues going on?
2. Would you recommend the laptop regardless of the issues?

I'd really appreciate your valuable feedbacks.

TIA.

Associate
OP
Hello guys,
I'm thinking of buying the aero 15. But before making a decision I'd like to hear your opinions.

TIA.

Hi mate - I no longer own the laptop but just to help you out with the following:

1) As far as I know, the keyboard shortcut / combination issue is now on the verge of finally being sorted out for good with another new keyboard firmware update according to some other owners.

Other known things to take into account is light bleed with the screen but in this day and age & with technology, it's a bit of a lottery and cannot be helped. The trackpad is dire but this can be resolved by removing the Synaptics drivers and installing Windows own Precision drivers.

2) Overall and for what it's worth it's a great laptop for the money, very sleek, quick, great battery life for the size but sadly I sold mine on after a few weeks of ownership as I simply couldn't get used to typing on the keyboard & these kind of Gigabyte keyboards in general. I found the keys overall to be awkward to type on as in my opinion they are very firm, resistant and not so much of a soft press in comparison to other laptop keyboards - therefore I'd recommend that you have a play with one before purchasing if possible.

Liam.

Associate
A little update.

After about a week of waiting Gigabyte turned around and told me to contact the vendor I bought the laptop from. Gave Overclockers a call and a collection by DPD was arranged for the next day. DPD themselves were a bit of a hassle and it actually took 3 days and a lot of pestering for me find me but that's out of OCs control. The same day that OC received the returned laptop I was informed I'd be receiving a replacement (as soon as it was in stock). Received that today - had the option of possibly swiching colours to get it earlier but I wasn't in a rush.

Only been using this for about an hour but so far the trackpad is working much better, whether I'll try Liam/Lek's advice and remove the Synaptics driver is yet to be seen, shall see how I get on with it. There's been no random clicks or jerkiness so far. Also I've not yet found a button sticking which is good news, only slight thing I've noticed that may bother me is pressing the ENTER key at the top is a bit temperamental and doesn't actuate the button underneath all the time, I should get used to this in time.

Gimli

Associate
I'm very interested in jumping ship from Alienware and buying this laptop in the future.

Any idea when the laptops with the 4K screen will be available?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I'm very interested in jumping ship from Alienware and buying this laptop in the future.

Any idea when the laptops with the 4K screen will be available?

Hi, product is due later in the year, probably October from what our roadmap shows now.

Hope that helps,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hello guys,

TIA.

I've had mine for over a week and get constant blue screens with the error "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
I ran a memory test, which found and apparently repaired a problem with the memory, though it still crashes.
At login it makes the "device disconnected sound" even though nothing has been removed. Occasionally beeps randomly.

Keyboard - Mediocre, but fine, I can use all of the keyboard shortcuts I need to after the latest firmware update.
Touchpad - Bad, hard to use precisely because it doesn't pick up small movements well, so you need to make a bigger movement and then try to land on what you want.
Speakers - Not great, and maximum volume is a bit low, especially for conversations in films and tv shows - you'll want external speakers or headphones. With headphones I haven't noticed any background hiss or noise which is good.
Smart Manager software - is annoying since all it does is duplicate the functions already built into Windows - increasing volume brings up the default Windows volume level *and* the ugly Gigabyte one. If I keep the laptop I'll be uninstalling it. About the only useful thing it does is show when the caps key is engaged.
RGB Keyboard - Looks good but that's all. What I really want is something useful - like illuminate the Caps key when it's used.
Smart Update Software - slow to open, often hangs, doesn't always install updates after downloading them, refuses to open at all if connected to a high dpi screen.
Performance is good, especially games, and the fan volume / pitch isn't annoying even when under load.
Size and weight are good for the performance on offer.
Connectivity is great with all of the ports you could possibly need.

Associate
Hi, product is due later in the year, probably October from what our roadmap shows now.

Hope that helps,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

It does indeed help. Thank you :)

I've been researching the kind of laptop I next want to have and the Aero 15 ticks all the boxes. Light weight, big screen, good graphics card, so I am definitely getting it. Just two final questions.

Do you have any idea what the retail price will be with a 4K screen, and will the screen be glossy or have some anti-glare coating? Really hope it isn't glossy. My MacBook is very hard on my eyes outdoors and is the number one reason I want to get an Aero 15 :/

Thanks Atom!

Associate
Hi Atom
Back after 15 months :D My Aero 15 has started to make a noise from the botton left fan, which gets louder when the laptop is under load.
The laptop is cleaned on a regular basis and there are no vents blocked.
Do i arrange with Overclockers to look at the laptop or do i go though Gigabyte. It has a 2 year warrenty.
Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Roger

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom
Back after 15 months :D My Aero 15 has started to make a noise from the botton left fan, which gets louder when the laptop is under load.
The laptop is cleaned on a regular basis and there are no vents blocked.
Do i arrange with Overclockers to look at the laptop or do i go though Gigabyte. It has a 2 year warrenty.
Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Roger

Hi @cdmania,

Sorry to hear of your problem, and sorry for delayed response. Please arrange for returning into Service Centre, no need to go through OCUK (will just cause delay)

Contact details:

MendIT Ltd, Unit 1 Magnesium Court, Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate, Burnley, Lancashire, England. BB12 7BF

Technical Support: 08442449999

Email: [email protected]

Let us know if you have any problems,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Cheers Atom80

I will get in contact with them to arrange the repair.
Thank you for the details and help.
Regards
Roger

Hi @cdmania,

Sorry to hear of your problem, and sorry for delayed response. Please arrange for returning into Service Centre, no need to go through OCUK (will just cause delay)

Contact details:

MendIT Ltd, Unit 1 Magnesium Court, Burnley Bridge Industrial Estate, Burnley, Lancashire, England. BB12 7BF

Technical Support: 08442449999

Email: [email protected]

Let us know if you have any problems,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Back
Top Bottom