gigabyte ax370 k5 vs 5?

Soldato
simple question really - what is the biggest difference in these 2 boards. both are within the budget I've set myself (like that ever works!)

I prefer the look of the k5, don't like the white shroud that's on the 5!

does the k5 dual bios?

I'll be pairing one of them with an R5 1600 and custom watercooling if that makes a difference
Gigabyte Gaming K5

Gigabyte Gaming 5

Soldato
OP

Yea the Gaming 5 has been well received it's just that fugly white shroud that puts me right off it!!

Soldato
The improved power circuitry might sway me but that's it.

That said I'm pretty objective with motherboards, as long as it has what I need, I just go for the cheapest one with the chipset I want.

I went for my current board as it was only a tiny bit more expensive than the cheaper msi equivalent, but it looks a lot cooler and it has an on board x-fi chip, so that swayed it.

Was an easy decision.

Soldato
OP
The improved power circuitry might sway me but that's it.

That said I'm pretty objective with motherboards, as long as it has what I need, I just go for the cheapest one with the chipset I want.
Yea I'm usually the same. Though I'd have already been all over the 5 by now if it wasn't for that white nonsense!

Soldato
OP
Gaming 5 as more VRMs power phases , If you want the best Then the best
then
ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO AMD X370 or Asrock X370 Taichi
CH6 and Taichi are absolute overkill in virtually every department. 200 quid plus for what? In a couple of bios updates the 150 quid boards will do virtually everything the above do.

I originally liked the visual aspect of the Taichi but now I've drifted more towards 'meh'

Soldato
I suppose you could just remove the big heatsink and paint it black or whatever, call me a cynic but I think these oversized heatsink on motherboards are more for show than anything, otherwise why wouldn't they have lots of fins on them rather than just big flat chunks.

Soldato
OP
I suppose you could just remove the big heatsink and paint it black or whatever, call me a cynic but I think these oversized heatsink on motherboards are more for show than anything, otherwise why wouldn't they have lots of fins on them rather than just big flat chunks.

That big white thing down the left side is just plastic.

I figured it wasn't offering any practicality but hadn't thought of just removing it. Wonder how difficult that is.......might chuck gigabyte uk a tweet and see what they say.

Soldato
I'd probably put it back on, but either paint it or cover it with a black or carbon fibre vinyl sticker.

Personally I think the other one looks nicer though.

If it's like mine, (different chipset though) it's just held on very loosely with pushpins, so loose you can wobble them from side to side, which makes me think they are more for show than anything.

I don't have a window on my case though so I don't really care what colour things are.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Painting it over or covering with a sticker sounds like too much faff for me. Might just take it off then. I'll email/tweet AMD first just to see what they say. Never know maybe it does serve some purpose.

That leads me to my next question, though. Is the gaming 5 the 'best' sub 200 quid motherboard!? From my own limited investigations it does seem to be but might as well ask here too!

Soldato
OP
Dunno, I'd be tempted to go for something like this though and save a few quid.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-556-gi.html

I appreciate I've got a different platform to you, but the k3 I've got is great, I don't think a 5 or a 7 would do anything for me other than cost more, it overclocks well, it does its job.

Again, another board I had looked at but too much red on the board for me. Going to be watercooling with uv green/blue combo. Red would just be too out of place.

The more I think about it I may just go with the K5, pairing with a 1600 the slightly weaker power circuitry/vrms 'probably' won't make much difference. Especially as I can't imagine I'll be pushing for a crazy high OC.

Soldato
Basically, the 5 is a white K7 with some of the overclocking options removed in the BIOS, whereas the K5 is a K7 with a bunch of hardware features removed.

Soldato
OP
hmm just read online that the power circuitry on the k5 is more in line with the B350 range of boards. guess that scuppers that then.

didn't mind the idea of it being slightly 'weaker' than the 5 or k7 but not gonna spend on an X board to get B board vrms etc

Back
Top Bottom