Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 Audio Problems

Soldato
I've had my new Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 + 4770k for around a month now, and have had quite a few problems with the onboard audio.

On several occasions the sound has just straight up not worked from a boot. I tried everything possible to get it working, but no luck. I had to completely shut down and restart to get the sound working.

Another bug I've had is the audio getting stuck at max volume and not being able to adjust it. The sound mixer would do nothing to the volume. Once again a shut down fixed the problem.

I don't want to get rid of this mobo, but it's starting to become annoying :(

Soldato
OP
Same one's I've got. I think this motherboard only came out a few months ago.
Not sure what to do. There's not really any way for me to prove it has a problem, it seems random :o

Associate
Good to hear its not just me then!

I have had the board since release and its had nothing but problems with the onboard sound! Mainly the 2 you talk about but also now and again if i load into a game with music on the sound goes all tinny and i have to restart to get it back.

I cant believe the drivers haven't seen an update since release but... there we go! :mad:

Anyway Bios update didn't do a lot for me but who knows it might for you!

Caporegime
The beta's are safe to use,I use them myself they get posted on tweaktown forums by stasio who gets them from the gigabyte BIOS engineers

It still could be a BIOS big its early days so is wait see what happens regarding bios's

Edit: don't the sound chips pull out? Have you checked that's its installed/seated fully?

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh its not a "send it back" problem! If i didnt have something else in the 1x slot i would have kept my ASUS sound card... Cuz tbh all onboard sound sucks. Its just i got 2 780's in SLI and a TV card which means no space for a sound card :(

But overlooking the sound problem... i think its a great board for clocking ect

Soldato
OP
Good to hear its not just me then!

I have had the board since release and its had nothing but problems with the onboard sound! Mainly the 2 you talk about but also now and again if i load into a game with music on the sound goes all tinny and i have to restart to get it back.

I cant believe the drivers haven't seen an update since release but... there we go! :mad:

Anyway Bios update didn't do a lot for me but who knows it might for you!

Yeah I haven't seen any improvement with the new bios :(
I do have a sound card but it's a rubbish one, the onboard sound is better quality.

Soldato
OP
Just had another bug. Was playing MGS Revengeance and my sound suddenly went super loud and robotic. I couldn't even understand my friend on Skype it was so bad :o
This is becoming annoying.

Then this happened and nearly blew my ears up :p

Last edited:
Associate
Yup that is exactly the same as me! The robotic sound only seems to happen when 2 programs are using the sound card. It could well be the early release OP AMP which need swapping but mine is behind the 2nd gfx card so there's no way im stripping my loop for that! Cuz it most likely is the drivers.

Soldato
OP
Glad it's not just me :p At least I now know it's possible that it's a problem with the board, and not just something I've done wrong.

I'm sending it back for RMA this week. Hopefully it will be found faulty. It is quite difficult to recreate the bug though :(

Soldato
I have had this with mine too and posted in the other thread about the issues and a lot of other across the net are having the same problem, i have said before not to buy this board unless you are prepared to buy a sound card and disable the onboard sound as i did.
I have an Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 and the sound quality for positional in games and in general is better to be honest.
I also tried the latest beta bios which did not fix it and from what ive seen it wont, as other boards Gigabyte have used with this audio chip suffer the same problems, from what i have read.

Back
Top Bottom