Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 - 1 long, 2 short beeps

Associate
Hello all,
I hope you guys can help me out. But i have a feeling I need to send the board back but here goes.

I've just put together a machine using the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 motherboard, dropped a Q9550 in there along with some spare ram from another machine. Powered by a Hiper 425W, incased in a coolermaster 335. Nothing else, no drives, cards or anything connected up.

However, when I power on, the fans all work, but I get 1 long beep, followed by 2 short. A quick google suggests that this is graphics problem.

I don't have a graphics card, its an intergrated nvidia 7100. So I'm lost. I can only assume the motherboard is at fault. I've tried with known working CPU, memory and PSU, and I'm still getting the beeps.

I've got a monitor connected, its connected to the VGA, not the DVI. And I didn't think it'd make a difference what I connect it to, if any anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas? First time I've had problems with video beep codes on an intergrated chipset, like this.

Thanks

I've tried with known working CPU, memory and PSU, and I'm still getting the beeps.

With the tests you've carried out, to date, the problem does seem to point to the motherboard as you've pretty much ruled everything else out using different components.

EDit: You could try testing a gfx card in the machine - if it works it would almost give you definitive clarification that it's the MB. (remember to disable onboard gfx if you do try this - it's easy to forget.)

Last edited:
With the tests you've carried out, to date, the problem does seem to point to the motherboard as you've pretty much ruled everything else out using different components.

EDit: You could try testing a gfx card in the machine - if it works it would almost give you definitive clarification that it's the MB. (remember to disable onboard gfx if you do try this - it's easy to forget.)

I don't have a PCIe card to test with, I've been using this laptop for the last few years now. I decide to splash out and treat myself to a PC after a bit of rough times and, bleh, I get a dodgy motherboard. I was going get a real graphics card to put in it at some stage, but if its not working as it should do in the first place I don't want it anyway. I guess its time for me to fire off an email to overclockers and see what they say. Just my luck.

Unlucky - shame you haven't got a gfx card to test just to clarify things, but it does look like it's a MB problem. (could you swipe a gfx card off a friend for an hour?)

Good luck with it.

ok, so after the long weekend/site move I got in contact with tech support to get the board replaced. Quickly told him what was wrong and that I'd contacted gigabyte etc and he told me to take the board back to the shop.

I did so, and had a chance to view the new place they have. Looks very clean and quite a bit of space.

Handed the board over to the good man Simon at the desk and filled in the returns form. Couldn't remember what components I had tried, so left a message on the tech support forum group with details there. Hopefully someone will read that before the board is tested to give them a bit more infomation about it.

Turns out there isn't any of the boards in stock now though, so it maybe that I'll be having a refund/new board.

So, any ideas on the lenth of time to test a 'simple' problem like this, and if it is a refund, any one got any thoughts on a new board I should get?

Usually, within 48 hrs but as they have just moved premises you may have a slightly longer wait.

EDIT: As you're use to the layout of the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 you could just get the Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H it's only £7 more and you'll have the benefit of knowing the BIOS inside out (plus it's in stock). Or if you fancy an upgrade get an Asus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom