• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Gaming OC 3070 overheating

Associate
So I bought a used GamingOC 3070 as part of a prebuilt, and it seems to have a massive overheating issue. When i start gaming on it, core temp reaches 93c within minutes and hotspot temp reaches 103c, and then the card starts dropping its frequency. There are 3 120mm intake fans, and I also opened the side of the case and used a USB fan to try and increase airflow but no change. I have had a STRIX 2070 Super in this case and the temps never passed 65c so I am confident it is not my airflow. The card is also set to OC mode, and not silent.

Obviously I do not have proof of purchase, but since the card cannot be more 7 or 8 months old is RMA possible? I know that technically warranty is none-transferrable, and I expect that's what Gigabyte would tell me as I've had a horrific experience with their customer support in the past, but it just seems like a way for them to get out of their quality assurance obligation.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I know i can dismantle the card and replace all the paste and thermal pads however not only am I not confident in doing it, I really don't feel i should have to.

Associate
tbh mate it wouldnt even get to gigabyte yet. most of the warranty or atleast the first part especially since it is part of a prebuilt would go to the shop it was bought from.

may aswell try stripping it down if nothing else is wrong apart from temps getting too high then it could be poor paste or even no paste.

Associate
Yeah if it was bought in a pre-built then you have a contract with whoever sold it to you, regardless of any gigabyte warranty.

Go back to who sold you the pre-built for repair/replacement.

Permabanned
Have you tried changing the fan profile with something like MSI Afterburner? It's really simple, you don't need a sophisticated profile, you just need two points on the graph really. The idle fan speed and gaming fan speed. If you set say 30% to 40 degrees and 80% at 70 degrees then you can move those around to get the noise/temperatures you want.

Associate
OP
Have you tried changing the fan profile with something like MSI Afterburner? It's really simple, you don't need a sophisticated profile, you just need two points on the graph really. The idle fan speed and gaming fan speed. If you set say 30% to 40 degrees and 80% at 70 degrees then you can move those around to get the noise/temperatures you want.

The fans run at 100% when any form of load is applied.

Associate
If it was me, I would Take it appart Applie new paste and put it back together.
All u have to do is take out a handful Of screws.

Soldato
See if any of the screws on the back of the card need tightening before you take it apart. If they're not in all the way then poor mounting pressure could be causing your issue.

Soldato
The fans run at 100% when any form of load is applied.

Then there is obviously something very wrong with the card

I wouldn't be surprised if it was used for mining and now all the thermal pads and paste are dry, cracked or even missing

chances are if you: take it apart and apply new thermal paste, new thermal pads and reassemble with correct mounting pressure than your temps wil drop 20c-30c

Associate
Then there is obviously something very wrong with the card

I wouldn't be surprised if it was used for mining and now all the thermal pads and paste are dry, cracked or even missing

chances are if you: take it apart and apply new thermal paste, new thermal pads and reassemble with correct mounting pressure than your temps wil drop 20c-30c
but the place that built it will the fob him off with "oh you opened it and fiddled with parts, its not insured or under warranty because of that".

Associate
Your 3070 shouldn't be running anywhere near that hot - my 3070 Suprim X (which, admittedly, is ridiculous overkill for a 3070) rarely gets above 60 when under full load. Get the company that sold you the prebuilt to replace it (or refund you).

Back
Top Bottom