Gigabyte M27Q P (Question about USB-C power delivery function)

Associate
I'm trying to figure out whether the Gigabyte M27Q P is worth it over the cheaper Acer Nitro XV272U, for the USB-C port (and KVM function).

In particular I wonder about the USB-C slot, which has DP Alt mode and 18 W Power Delivery.
Are all computers (laptops) able to use the PD 18 watt? Regardless if they are able to do Alt Mode? Or does PD work mostly for charging phones?

Also, is 18 watt enough for keeping the power of a normal HP elitebook PC running in office work (Microsoft Office (mainly Word), internet browsing and Teams meetings). I guess Teams is what demands the most CPU/GPU load of those.
I read in a review that my HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G3laptop has an average load of 33 watt and an average idle of 9,4 watt. Is that about normal also for newer Elitebook laptops?

Last edited:
Is the USB-C on the M27Q-P different from the ones on other monitors?
This review says: "It only puts out up to 18 watts of power so you can’t expect your USB-C laptop to charge while it’s docked to the monitor. "

But I got curious, as to whether the USB-C will even be able to deliver that 18 watt to all laptops, or if the laptop needs to be compatible with ehh Power Delivery or something?

Last edited:
About the KVM switch: would it work for also other USB devices than mouse and keyboard, such as using the same web cam on two computers? Any guesses?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom