Gigabyte P750GM 750 Watt Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU....... High Failure warning....

Soldato
Just watching a video now about this PSU and I have seen it on sale at a UK competitor and thought that it is best to link it here....

the high failure rate is concerning, GN bought ten of them and 50% failed catastrophically, one possibly causing a GPU to also be damaged.

"Gigabyte's GP-P750GM & GP-P850GM" both of these units are noted to be problematic.

Avoid this unit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They are listed, the 750w one, at £59.99. Still whatever the price they are best avoided. Not everyone will be aware of the potential problem tho.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sadly I have the 850watt version of this in my PC.

Can anyone recommend a replacement.

I'm looking at the 2020 (possibly 2019) version of the Corsair RM850.

My system specs -

Ryzen 5900x
RGB 32GB
RTX 3070
4 Old Fashioned Spinners
2 Sata SSD's
2 NVMEs
Soundblaster AE5
Elgato Stream PCIE

5 case fans (inc AIO)

I built this PC almost a year ago and have upgraded the CPU/GPU after getting lucky a couple of times. My original 750 watt which was about 5 years old was replaced with the P850GM just before Xmas, it couldn't handle the 3070 & 5900x at full chat when playing Anno 1800 and would soft reset the machine when assets loaded in.

Many Thanks

Perhaps this could be a consideration, with ten years warranty....

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £144.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

seems reasonable and rated as a Tier A PSU.

Soldato
OP
Surprised that people keep buying it, unless they do not give credibility to buyers feedback or bother to read the horrendous feedback from confirmed buyers at a competitors site.

I see that this controversy is being picked up by other sites and news feeds. Like....

https://www.pcgamer.com/gigabyte-faulty-psu-response-returns/
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-releases-statement-on-exploding-psus
https://www.techtimes.com/articles/...r-power-supplies-risk-serious-malfunction.htm

etc....

It seems that these need to be recalled, after reading that report from Aris.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
IIRC it was GN's first video when he referred back to the NZXT explosive production issues, not sure what their response was at the time.
The veneer sure does wear thin when such issues are exposed, coupled with probably a large amount of inventory within the supply chain and hopes of offloading that against a probable PR disaster.
Prior to this Gigabyte have always been one of the "good guys" in dealing with. They fully repaired a motherboard socket after I damaged it, at their expense, and have been great to handle with returns being based the UK.
I will not stop dealing with them due to the above, altho their rep has been somewhat tarnished.

Back
Top Bottom