Gigabyte z370 gaming 7 post code 66?

Soldato
Everytime I start from a cold boot it comes up with code 66. If I restart the PC it then shows A0 only when I restart. Is post code 66 ok? I re-setted the chip and doing the AIO again and it's still the same?

I've reset the cmos also and still does it? Is this a bios issue?

Associate
Hi All

Same board for me and the same issue. Last night I flashed the latest BIOS F5e and it still has the same issue. Anyone seeing the same thing still or did you get it fixed? Again, no issue with performance.

Soldato
Yes I have the same debug code 66 so it is not a issue with BIOS, nothing wrong with BIOS so everything is fine.

You obviously not read the manual fully properly so you will see 66 is not an error code, actually 63-67 CPU DXE initialization is started are regular boot code. The debug code list has 4 sections Regular Boot, S3 Resume, Recovery and Error.

Associate
Yes it still works! :) Does that stop it from being annoying. Nope.

I know it's not formally written as an error code, but Gigabyte have suggested they're looking into a fix. If it ain't broke, then why fix it?

Associate
My friend is getting this error also on his new build from the weekend. F5f bios. Then I found this on a reddit post.

post from a gigabyte staff member on their US forums
He said the following about code 66: "Not sure if it needs to be fixed, as its working as intended. The board, when cold, will retrain the memory on boot. It will go from tightest -> relaxed until something sticks. If the tightest timing works then you should see A0 (boot successful). If it fails even once it will show 66 (atleast one failed boot) . On a soft reboot it already has the timings trained, thus it clears the code and shows A0. The only way to fix this would be to boot successfully on tightest timings. We could fix this by creating a less aggressive profile, however those who are booting with the most aggressive profile would lose performance. That being said I'll check with our BIOS guys but I believe its working as intended."

its at this moment I realize this is a gaming 7 thread. my friends is a gaming 5... oops

Last edited:
Associate
Okay try the board with one memory stick at a time to rule out a dead stick, there is now an F5M BIOS for that board I would recommend using that as it has new RAM support too. It could be the board just needs a BIOS update to support the RAM. Does you friend have any older ram to try?

Can you let me know the RAM model and serial number too... ?

Associate
I have the same code, 66 on cold boot but it does change to AO after a soft restart (I usually don't bother). Memtest passed on RAM but as others have mentioned, it appears to be working perfectly even with custom timings. My RAM is: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 4000MHz C19 Memory Kit - Black (CMK32GX4M2F4000C19). It only runs at 3600Mhz though since I can't get it to boot at 4000Mhz.

Back
Top Bottom