Giggsy, one of the greatest ??

Soldato
Ok first up I make no apologies for being a Utd fan and asking this question. However if Giggsy plays on Saturday against Liverpool he will have notched up 700 games for one club and the best part of fifteen years playing in the top flight.. At the moment he is having one of his better seasons being used in just the right ammount of games to have an impact.

It's pretty easy to get carried away with the word Genius or the next Georgie Best but when ex pro's say it then there must be something about the lad. Always stays out of the limelight and is a model pro in the ammount of training he does and the work he does away from football

Born: 29/11/73
Clubs: Man Utd
Debut: 2 Mar, 1991 v Everton
Appearances: 699
Goals: 140
Premiership titles: 8
FA Cups: 4
Champions League: 1
League Cups: 2
Intercontinental Cup: 1
Wales caps: 54
Wales caps: 9

Plus numerous young player/player of the month/year awards.

It makes me laugh when you hear the press going on about players like Lampard and Gerrard being true greats of the game. Exceptionally good players in their own right but I can't see either of them getting near Giggsy's trophy haul, more so with Lamps

Although his international career has been limited due to the fact he doesn't play for one of the big International teams, I don't think he would have been unwelcome company mixing with players like Zidane, Maradonna et al.

Thoughts ?

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
You think it less likely that Lamps will get to his trophy haul? :/
Thanks for the Grammar correction
and I don't think Lampard will acheive what Giggs has in the game.

Gilly said:
...and has called in sick 6 or 7 times out of ten.
agred but in most cases it was for meaningless friendlies

Gilly said:
Its not a completely daft suggestion but some of your other comments are pretty daft.
:confused: My question was about Giggs being classed as a Great Player. Most of what I have said is factual in the respect of what hes won and what ex pros have said about him So whats daft ?

Gilly said:
The problem is the true greats of the game (Pele, Eusebio, Maradona, Platini, Di Stefano, etc) did the biz on the big stage. Either carrying below par teams through games like Eusebio or being the big fish in a big pond like Pele. Giggs has never had the impact he should have for Wales, which is detrimental o the way he'll be remembered.

Im not a big fan of International Football but whenever I have watched highlights, Wales have always looked better for him in the side and regardless of the opposition. With the greatest respect to Wales, a Below par Welsh side is completely different to a below par Brazilian, Portugese, Argentinian or French. In most cases the players you mention and the international sides they play in were underperforming. Imho Giggs can only perform so much at International level due to the other players he has in his side. Thats has nothing to do with his ability

Soldato
OP
JohnnyG said:
I'll admit to being in the minority too in that case:)
Given the option of either player in their prime in my team I'd take Shearer. Always gave everything, never went missing as Giggs regularly did & knew how to fight when needed. Both were blessed with immense skills (different ones of course) but you just knew with Shearer in your side you had a chance:)

When has Giggs gone missing in games :confused:

You must be getting him confused with Lampard who went missing for his summer holidays last year. Whilst all his chums were out in Germany he certainly was on another planet :p

Back
Top Bottom