GIMP2 Question: Help!

Soldato
Hi chaps, I'm sure this is a simple one but, alas, the answer eludes me.

I'm very new to image manipulation software and have recently created this book cover from scratch. I need the image to be saved at 300 DPI or above, and it must be a JPEG or a TFF. This is the error message I get when trying to upload the current cover image:

For best print quality, we recommend using images with at least 300 dots per inch (DPI). The current image has 72 DPI. Optimal print quality would be achieved with an image of 5.25 inches wide by 8.5 inches high that has at least 300 DPI.

I know how to save it as a JPEG or TFF, but when I try to fiddle about raising the DPI it seems to be stuck at 75. Google hasn't helped.

Any ideas about what I should be doing?

tff1.png

Soldato
Well, a JPEG doesn't really have an embedded DPI. So with your application just use a bit of maths to calculate what resolution you need.

5.25 x 8.5 inches, at 300 dpi = 1575px x 2550px

What you're going to find next is that your current image scaled up to that resolution destroys the quality. So you'll be hoping you can obtain the vector source, or have it already...

Soldato
OP
The vector what now? Thanks Gord, I'll look into all that and then probably get confused and come back. :)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom