GL-MT6000

Associate
I was super close to getting it but there are a lot of reports on the forums of people having issues: https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/flint-2-gl-mt6000-bug-reports-collective-thread/35608

Most notable:

1: 2.4 Ghz range and speed are bad. They said they are looking into it with firmware fix.
2: USB interference. The USB port is not properly shielded so if you connect a USB 3.0 drive you might have problems.
3: It's not proper OpenWRT unless you flash it but that's not in the stable release yet and won't be for awhile I think.

I feel like they really rushed it out for some reason. Maybe they thought they'd get lots of sales at Christmas. If I was going to buy it I'd be waiting a couple months. 2 alternatives that are very similar would be the Asus TUF-AX6000 or Xiaomi Redmi AX6000. Both have OpenWRT support. The latter stable release of OpenWRT.

However there is a really good review by someone who had no problems and knows what they are talking about: https://www.cnx-software.com/2024/0...w-part-2-wifi-6-2-5gbe-wireguard-performance/

Hard to bet against the Xiaomi Redmi AX6000 which can apparently be had for about £70 but installing OpenWRT is much harder and not exactly sure where to get it from reputable sources.

Soldato
Anyone got one?

Ive got one, I don't have any issues with the 5ghz which im using on the 160mhz channel 128, nor the LAN which I have 3 devices connected to, I get the full 900mb/s up and down speeds, they work perfectly, the issue with the 2.4ghz isnt the range, I get full coverage throughout the whole house, its the speed, its only providing 100mb/s download max, they are looking into fixing it with firmware, but in all honesty, the only things I have connected to the 2.4ghz is IoT devices, and they are all working fine, so it really doesnt bother me, I brought an ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX6000 from the rainforest that had the exact same issue, only giving me 100mb/s on the 2.4ghz connection, and thats a £350 router, so I sent it back.

Also it does run proper OpenWRT, it just has GL.iNet UI over the top of it, unlike the Flint 1, just like a Samsung Android phone still runs Android, it just has there take on it over the top, but even the vanilla OpenWRT firmware is having the same 2.4ghz issues, which is why ive not bothered flashing it, im sure once they fix it, GL.iNet will implement it too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Monster of a router, and the OpenWrt snapshot is chugging along nicely so that wouldn't concern me at all. The speed and features to pricepoint ratio are very favourable, especially with mainline OpenWrt support on tap. If they made a rackmount version with 2x SFP+, a few 2.5Gbps copper ports and no bloody WiFi I'd bite their hand off at twice the price.

Soldato
Monster of a router, and the OpenWrt snapshot is chugging along nicely so that wouldn't concern me at all. The speed and features to pricepoint ratio are very favourable, especially with mainline OpenWrt support on tap. If they made a rackmount version with 2x SFP+, a few 2.5Gbps copper ports and no bloody WiFi I'd bite their hand off at twice the price.
If you buy a sub £40 mixed media 4x2.5Gbe and 2x10Gb SFP+ switch, knock the Wi-Fi off and squint a bit then that’s basically what you have, if you get the managed version with PoE, it’s possibly even close to what you want.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a certain demographic in the open source community who have decided that anything utterly less than perfect is useless. And they complain bitterly on forums and put people off buying things. Flint 2 is a superb router and if you stay on the stock firmware there is no issue with 2.4GHz Wireless LAN. If you want to run OpenWRT then there are driver issues from the chipset manufacturer (that also affect Ubiquiti, MikroTik, ASUS and other suppliers using that chipset) and you will have poor SPEED (coverage is fine) on the 2.4GHz if you flash the firmware.

So yes, there are circumstances where you might have poor 2.4GHz speeds but out of the box, it works just fine.

Associate
Great router, especially with OpenWRT, can't see any issues with newest snapshot.
Yep, after a month using the MT6000, i'm very happy with it.

As you say OpenWRT snapshot is now on a much later version than the 23.05.3 stable initial release and the WiFi issues are pretty much gone.

Also, I'm now currently running 2x MT6000 (I bought another a week or so ago). one with the official GL firmware (4.5.8) and the other a OpenWRT snapshot build based on the next OpenWRT 24 branch.

No issues with either in operation.

Edit: Beta of the 4.6.0 is now out on the GL site for the official firmware.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently bought the Flint2 and it is an impressive router. Bang for buck, it's brilliant.

Does it have a data counter on the wan side?

I have also noticed it is getting rather warm. Is there a way of monitoring the internal temps?

Associate
I recently bought the Flint2 and it is an impressive router. Bang for buck, it's brilliant.

Does it have a data counter on the wan side?

I have also noticed it is getting rather warm. Is there a way of monitoring the internal temps?

Counters and temperature, you can in LuCI (under advanced if you are using the GL.Inet firmware) by installing luci-app-statistics and collectd-mod-thermal plugins respectively. You then get graphs etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only ever had Virgin Media, would this router work with Virgin and FTTP if I was to change over?

Edit: Seems like it does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom