Glasses wearers - help please!

Associate
Hi glasses wearers.

I've been lucky enough not to need glasses but at 50 I realised that holding my phone at arm's length to read it wasn't right, and last year I got a prescription for some glasses which totally sort out that problem.

However I've not really been wearing them, mostly out of habit and forgetting to taken them with me etc.

Recently I've been getting headaches, I noticed only when I've been working in the office. It took me a while to make the link, but I guess it's likely related to my vision.

At home I don't get headaches, I work primarily on 2 x 27" 1440p monitors 3 days a week.

I do 2 days in the office where there's 2 x 1080p monitors. I'm assuming the lower resolution means I'm straining a bit more, or some other environmental factor.

I tried my glasses but they only help with close-in stuff, the monitors don't appear and clearer, in fact they seem more blurry, so I don't use the glasses when at my desk either at home or in the office.

So... I went back to the optician with this info. She gave me a test and told me I needed a slightly stronger prescription. However, she said there was no point me getting new glasses until I got used to wearing the old, and that I should wear them when in the office.

I tried this for a few days, but headaches have been worse and it's still way clearer without them than when wearing them.

I'd assumed that I needed different glasses depending on how far away I wanted to focus, and was expecting this to result in me getting some glasses which made that spot a couple of feet from my face clearer, but it seems not.

Am I missing something, or should I go back to the optician? Or should I see a different optician?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. To try to sift out the valuable info which isn't about bolts and suchlike (I did go to Specsavers btw ;)), it does sound like I can get glasses which are tailored for me to see a monitor properly at a standard distance, and thus hopefully stop these headaches.

Is that right? Is there anything special I need to ask for?

Last edited:
I was having headaches exactly like you are having so I now have a prescription specifically for computer use and includes blue light filters and the result is no more headaches. As a bonus these glasses are also great for working on the car, gardening or anything else that is too far for my reading glasses but too close for my distance glasses.
Thanks! But as a n00b to opticians etc, do I just make another appointment and ask for specific monitor glasses?

I've booked another eye test at Specsavers on Tuesday morning and I'm going to take measurements to my monitor screens. Thanks for the advice, I'll report back once I've got some new glasses :)

Well I went back to Specsavers and asked them for glasses to suit working at my monitor. They did some tests and did some stuff to my existing glasses. Having tried to use them for a while it's made no difference, I still find myself leaving the glasses off. It's a little blurry but I don't get the headaches I do when wearing the glasses :confused:

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated as all this is new to me.

I have a pair of 'Zippo' glasses I bought for a tenner and to be honest they feel a lot better to me than the Specsavers ones on my screens here at home. Am due in the office tomorrow so will give them a bash and see how I get on.

As I suspected I've had the cheap glasses on today for 5-6 hours and they feel fine and no headaches. So it seems Specsavers and getting a proper prescription is second to just trying on a few and seeing what works!?

Back
Top Bottom