Glow Worm Boiler - Filling Loop Water Leak Suggestions

Associate
Hi,

Just had an issue when re-pressurising my hot water system and was wondering if anyone with any plumming knowledge could advice;

Pressure dropped to 0.5 so required re-presussurising, no worries as had to do this in early November so followed steps as i have before. No visable sign of water leaking from around the boiler area. The system has a green collar which you need to push up first, and then two taps which need turning, left hand side first (opens the CH system), right hand side (opens the water supply).

I topped up system to 1.1 as normal and closed the left and right hand side taps as per normal. Allowed the boiler to fire up for a couple of moments to check pressure didnt drop. Then i went to undo the green collar and it started leaking water (more then a drip!!). Managed to get the green collar back up again and the water leak stopped immediatly and the boiler has been running fine since for an hour or so with hot water being supplied to our taps and radiators working fine (no further loss in pressure, a steady 1.0 currently)

Does anyone know If the two taps are closed is it going to be ok to leave that green collar in the up position for the time being - read a couple of youtube comments from their guide video and appears im not the first person this has happened too and also some find that the installer has left it in this position anyway...

Any advice would be appreciated as prefer not to organise a plumber over a weekend (why does it happen on a Friday later afternoon!!)

Procedure in the manual is that you need to push the disconnector collar up first, then do the filling with the two taps, and then you should pull the collar down once completed.

Capture.jpg

From Manual;

If the Central Heating (C.H.) pressure falls below 0.4 bar, the display will flash the current pressure and the boiler will not operate. To increase the pressure, the CH circuit requires "Topping up".
• Push the disconnector up then turn the green locking collar to lock the disconnector in the filling position.
• Fully open the Lhd filling tap then gradually open the Rhd tap.
• When the operating pressure is achevied, close both taps, unlock the disconnector and pull down to disengage.

Its at the final stage i get covered in hot water when i "unlock the disconnector"!

Just looked at this video on youtube , if the disconnector valve is constantly running then leaving it connected will be fine as long as the other taps are closed. Some people fit a second filling loop because of this problem of leaking.

Just looked at this video on youtube , if the disconnector valve is constantly running then leaving it connected will be fine as long as the other taps are closed. Some people fit a second filling loop because of this problem of leaking.

thanks for the link, had seen vid and saw comments under r.e other people getting soaked and finding green collar already up when frantically googling yesterday...

will monitor but been solid with no further leaking for 24hr now, just a bit terrifying when water came out like it did as wasn't expecting it! no plumbing expert so immediately start thing worst case scenario...

Back
Top Bottom