Gluten Free Food

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place for this .

OK so is there anyone here who is on a Gluten free diet ?...I'm asking as I'm not sure where is the better high street shop to look for Gluten free food , ie a better range ?

Thanks

Associate
All the Supermarkets have a “Free From” section which includes gluten free foods.The range depends per supermarket,you just need to have a look.Aldi and Lidl seem not to have these sections though they may sell gluten free among the regular foods I don’t know.Holland and Barrett also sell gluten free.Independent health food shops should sell them also.

Soldato
OP
All the Supermarkets have a “Free From” section which includes gluten free foods.The range depends per supermarket,you just need to have a look.Aldi and Lidl seem not to have these sections though they may sell gluten free among the regular foods I don’t know.Holland and Barrett also sell gluten free.Independent health food shops should sell them also.

Yeah it seems most of them dont have a great selection although ( as i have been looking online ) waitrose seem to do a good amount , more money though, but ya know.

Soldato
I did Whole30 a few years back. As it was only 30 days i made all my own food. It was a bit time consuming but was healthier than the free from stuff in the supermarkets.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place for this .

OK so is there anyone here who is on a Gluten free diet ?...I'm asking as I'm not sure where is the better high street shop to look for Gluten free food , ie a better range ?

Thanks
When you say 'gluten free' there are many different types as many foods already dont contain gluten.

If you mean bread, biscuits, cakes and **** then that is a different subject. Then there is the stuff that you might not suspect have gluten in them like soups and even some sweets.

mysupermarket.co.uk is very good as it lets you look at different food groups for most of the larger supermarkets.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Lifestylehub_Gluten_Free_in_Tesco.html?store=Sainsburys

That link is for the Sainsburys gluten free section. You can choose a different shop with the tabs on the right. Quite a lot of the own brand gluten free cakes, biscuits and stuff is very good now.

For bread I would stick with Warbourtons for now. The Farmhouse brand I found to be the one I like the most.

Bit of a caution though some of the items listed may contain gluten so check the ingredients list aswell.

Any other questions ask away.

Dont get the sainsburys gluten free jam tarts unless you want to give then to someone to stop them asking for your good gluten free stuff again.

Last edited:
Associate

Most of the 'free from' stuff Ive tried from Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys have been free of one important ingredient. Taste.

Soldato
I am on a paleo diet - no gluten and no grains either. Trust me, you've got it easy if you're just going gluten free. There are gf options in most supermarkets and chain restaurants.

Soldato
OP
I am on a paleo diet - no gluten and no grains either. Trust me, you've got it easy if you're just going gluten free. There are gf options in most supermarkets and chain restaurants.

I'm a Coeliac , and over the last year or so I've been getting more and more "unwell" , so I need to be even more strict with my diet from now on .

Soldato
I'm a Coeliac , and over the last year or so I've been getting more and more "unwell" , so I need to be even more strict with my diet from now on .
I was 'unwell' for many many years. Weekly throwing up, double vision, week long brutal migrains, as well as a constant headache and many other horrible conditions before I finaly gave up gluten. Best thing I ever did was to give up gluten.

Soldato
OP
I was 'unwell' for many many years. Weekly throwing up, double vision, week long brutal migrains, as well as a constant headache and many other horrible conditions before I finaly gave up gluten. Best thing I ever did was to give up gluten.

Yeah Tony I hear you, over the last two years I've never felt so awful , I was lucky enough not to get any throwing up or migrains , but until a few days ago I always had a foggy tight cloudy feeling in my head , always tired wanting to sleep , feeling weak all the time , and after eating I would feel like I had a brick in my belly along with feeling like I've been given something to knock me out and so on, plus the mental health issues that can come with being a Coeliac , I should say though that when I was about 17 I was told " go on this gluten free diet for a few months and you'll be fine " I was never told being Coeliac was for life .

I have also this very morning been told that if I eat Bananas they MUST have No green on them at all , for if they are in anyway green it's the same as eating Latex .

Last edited:
Soldato
Its good to see I'm not the only one! I've been gluten free for 7 years after suffering with various symptoms for 10 years!

Although I did have a brief period early last year where i was told i was now fine with gluten again. Had it occasionally to test the waters, seemed fine for a few months until I realised I wasn't. Went elsewhere for testing and was told nope gluten and grains in general are still an issue and probably always will be.

I second that the Warburton farmhouse bread is good. Also the tiger bread in Tesco is nice. You do have to be careful with the free from sections though as they seem to take out the allergen and pile in a load of sugar in its place.
I need to get back into paleo. Do you have any fave recipes? I'm finding some are just so complex sometimes. I just want something simple that doesn't require a million different ingredients.

If anyone likes pumpkin bread, Against All Grain has a fab recipe for one. Makes a nice change for breakfast. :)

That's interesting about the bananas. I'm not allowed them at the moment due to the sugar content but I only like them when they're just turning from green to yellow. I read somewhere that the more ripe they are the more sugar but I don't know if that's true or not.

Back
Top Bottom