Go Daddy

Soldato
I have set up an account with these, registered a domain and paid for hosting.

For those that have done the same, how do I get the website live?

I have uploaded the relevant files, pictures etc to the file manager by going
Web Hosting > Manage > File Manager > Web Root (public_html/www) > Go > then put it under the public_html folder

But...then what?

When I go to "Preview Website" and click Preview, I just get a text file with the code for the home page I created? :confused:

Yea, I get a download thing too unless I put in the IP address then it's some kind of holding site which says "something exciting coming soon" and I can login and it just takes me to the web hosting management page.

I tried the preview thing earlier but it just opens the "home" page in notepad?

Guess I will have to contact them. :/

I would say GoDaddy suck and are unethical, but you're already with them.

The .htm files are being delivered as attachments for reasons I don't know. The .css file works fine though.

Is there a .htaccess file in the directory which is forcing this?

Also, try changing .htm to .html.

Yea, I get a download thing too unless I put in the IP address then it's some kind of holding site which says "something exciting coming soon" and I can login and it just takes me to the web hosting management page.

It's shared hosting so that IP contains 1000+ websites/domains. It's fairly common to see some kind of holding page on the root of that IP. Nothing to worry about.

I've found it to be much quicker changing hosts in this sort of situation, rather than wasting time trying to trouble shoot the issues you get from hosts who don't have user friendly systems at all.

The homepage is being sent with a content type of application/x-httpd-php. It should be text/html. Do you have a .htaccess file in the document root by any chance? If not, then it's a setting on the server and you are probably best speaking to Go Daddy's support.

A temporary solution that may or may not work would be to add this to the top of the page:

<?php
header("Content-Type:text/html");
?>

It needs to go at the very top, before any HTML or spaces.

Last edited:
As for the error it seems php handler issue. you need to add those rules in .htaccess, for this I am sure your hosting provider should help you... which I dont expect from godaddy they are worst in support .. better change your provider .. you can try WebhostUK they should be able to help you in minutes with this issue.

The .htm files are being delivered as attachments for reasons I don't know. The .css file works fine though.

Is there a .htaccess file in the directory which is forcing this?

Also, try changing .htm to .html.

I do have a .htaccess file in there (although I can't see it in the file manager to delete).

I have changed everything from .htm to .html but nothing changed.

Code in the .htaccess file is:

Code:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .htm .html

have you saved it as "index.html" or "index.php" and uploaded that to the public folder?

Code could use a rewrite too after reading through the downloaded file :)

Don't have anything saved as index.html or index.php.

Yes I know the code isn't great, it was my first attempt and I was learning as I went along as most of my experience is with Java and I can't design to save my life.

Most of the stuff in the css file is redundant. :o

Last edited:
I've found it to be much quicker changing hosts in this sort of situation, rather than wasting time trying to trouble shoot the issues you get from hosts who don't have user friendly systems at all.

Unfortunately he has paid for the domain name and 3 years hosting. Is it easy to cancel?

As for the error it seems php handler issue. you need to add those rules in .htaccess, for this I am sure your hosting provider should help you... which I dont expect from godaddy they are worst in support .. better change your provider .. you can try WebhostUK they should be able to help you in minutes with this issue.

I'm going to try now. Should be fun...

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Just looking at the type Go Daddy has the files saved as they are "application/x-httpd-php"

I guess that's the issue. I can't see the .htaccess file to delete it though.

Last edited:
Code in the .htaccess file is:

Code:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .htm .html

What the...?

Did you put that there or is that a default for GoDaddy? If it's the latter then that's another -1 point for how crap GoDaddy are.

How can you view the contents of the .htaccess if you can't see it? You don't need to delete it, you can just delete the line and leave it a blank file, or create you're own blank .htaccess file and upload it.

You might want to consider getting an FTP program such as WinSCP, must better for uploading, and you'll be able to see the .htaccess.

Nah, it was me. :)

Should I upload a blank .htaccess file then to replace the other one?

I guess I would be best off deleting all the uploads I have done and start again?

EDIT: Replaced the .htaccess file with a blank copy and I can preview all the pages now. I guess it's time to get it live and test it I guess - anyone know where that option is?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom