• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Go to a 4790k/Z97 or wait for Broadwell

Associate
I have a 2500k and seriously sick of it now after nearly 4 years with it and in certain CPU intense games like WOW its really struggling when things gets heavy, however I did recently upgrade my gcard from a 7970 to SLI GTX780Ti and pleased with the cards especially in games like Battlefield 4 but was wondering should I wait or go for the 4790k? the chip+board at £350 seems fair deal to me. One more thing would the 4790k be less of a bottleneck for my cards than the 2500k setup?

Associate
OP
There is no actual budget in mind but maybe around £1000-1200 is what I want to spend, parts I want/need are a cpu and board, new ram (the 8gb 1600mhz I have is doing my head in too), a new 1000w+ psu (my 850w corsair is making weird noises), and finally a custom loop as my H50 is getting on, oh yeah and a new case.

Also are the broadwells really that late? I been waiting for them for a year but just can't wait any longer, I even considered a x99 and 5930k until I realised how overpriced the boards and DDR4 ram are.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I probably don't need all that power but its nice to have and less stress on the PSU in the long term, with 780ti in SLI and usually oc'd and with the new chip and a new loop in my mind its not wise to skimp on a psu.

Associate
OP
Martin thanks for the insight into a similar upgrade I am looking into, also thanks to the people suggesting X99, I have weighed things up and as of right now I have decided to get the 4790k and gigabyte board bundle, H100i, superflower 1000w Platinum and a corsair Graphite 780T. Resale values are not important to me and I am no longer a fan of keeping PC's for 4+years, I don't know why it just winds me up after having computer stuff for a long time, as for the 2500k well I am selling it along with the board, H50, case, 850W PSU, 8GB Ram and a 120GB SSD, someone seems interested for all that for £200 I'll agree if he came and took the lot, I know its a giveaway but its to the point I'm thinking of smashing it up for some twisted reason so any money is welcome. Just so sick of Intel mugging everyone off with these small increments, what we really need is a i7 i920 style leap but I fear we'll never see a jump like that again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom