Going OTT now?

Associate
Since thinking I'd be building a basic PC for my mate and his wife, I have since learnt they hardly use their current PC so I get the feeling it would be nice but pointless in me getting all that hardware and giving it too them..

So....
Here's my updated list:

HIS ATI Radeon X1900 XT Iceq 3 Silent (figured it could overclock to XT-X speeds... if not, darn fast enough anyways!!)
Pioneer DVR 111Bk
Logiech Cordless optical desktop
DFI LanParty UT Ultra D
AMD X2 3800 or should I go for the 4400?
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro cooler
Samsung SM-913N 19" LCD Monitor
OC Z 2Gb (1x2Gb) PC3200 Platinum memory
Maxtor 300Gig SATA-2 16mb drive

Now is there anything wrong this the above system? If so, what would you change?
Am I better to get the 2Gb memory or 2x1Gb packs?
I have also been reading about this Ninja heatsink/fan combo. Would I need it since I'm buying the CPU as a retail item or is the retail heatsink/fan fairly decent? Wouldnt mind trying to overclock the 3800 or 4400 (depending on which one I get) but wasnt sure of 'limits' I guess...

Anyways, please, pick away if there's things you'd change :)

Last edited:
I have the following:

XP Pro + Service Pack 1A (that's all I install)
OC Z 520W PSU
Coolermaster Stacker 810
Lite-On DVD
Lite-On CD-RW
OC Z 1Gb PC3200 (thinking about it going to my Fiance's machine and taking out the Geil Value PC3200 stuff)
Maxtor 200Gb SATA (Storage)
Raptor 74Gb SATA (Windows and Games)

One question I do have is about the hard drive....
Would I be better off getting a small IDE for Windows and then having the Raptor just for games? I've never had any problems with a Maxtor hard drive... That's why I buy them!
Which is a better CPU to get as well? Cost isnt too much of a problem...
With regards to the HSF, I was looking into a Thermalright or a Zalman... Looking at noise and not wanting it to be really noisy, but not silent either... Any thoughts?

Last edited:
With the memory, would the 2Gb be a better option or should I stick with the 1Gb that I already have?
I'd love the 4400+ as its 2.2GHz and has a 1Mb cache on each core... The CPU cooler sounds really good, I'll add that to the list!! :D ;)
Would that HIS card be overclockable to XT-X speeds with ease?

I was looking at the OC Z Platinum 2Gb pack as I have had the 1Gb for over a year now and its fantasic :) It overclocks really well and I'm more than happy with it :)

The difference is 25Mhz on the core and I think about 100Mhz on the memory... I reckon I can manage that!! ;) Hope so!! Will save me £50 doing it that way!!

Many thanks for the help and advice SiriusB :)

What is wrong with Maxtor hard drives? Over the last 5 years, I've never had one fail on me!! :confused:

I can afford either CPU, but which one (more importantly) is better to buy? Overclocking or not?

I like the Pioneer drives, never complained with anything I have ever put in it.. Nice bit of kit :)

Personally I've never had a Maxtor hard drive fail on me. Only when I do mess about and overclock things too much do they ever seem to give me any problems, but nothing so major that a re-boot wouldnt fix.

I keep buying them as they are great value and work well :) Personally I've no problems with them. My first drive that died on me was a Western Digital and that failed within 7 months from new!! Had Maxtor's ever since!

I guess I have been lucky then!

Back
Top Bottom