Going soap free in the shower... forever.

Soldato
I'm officially a dirty, smelly hippy. Well, not really - and that's why it's so interesting.

For years I've endured almost constant courses of antibiotics (kidney disease and heart disease), autoimmune problems, and had to use an antiseptic body wash (Hibiscrub). It got to a point where I developed a 'sore' of sorts on my thigh/groin. It was like a raw patch of skin that weeped, never healed, and got rather nasty at times. I went around in circles with antibiotics and anti-fungals, but nothing touched it and it just kept getting worse. My hair was always greasy, my skin was painfully dry and sore with bits flaking off in places and patches of eczema.

Then I had a bit of a thought. I take antibiotic resistant gut probiotics because of all my drug intake, but what is showering in Hibiscrub doing to my skin? After all, it's basically a skin biome nuclear weapon - it's what surgeons scrub with before surgery. Maybe less bacteria (i.e. repeated antibiotics and antifungals) isn't the solution - maybe I needed more bacteria to replace what I'd damaged and killed off? Probiotics for my skin?

After a week of research (in journals, not new age sites or shops), the science is actually fairly supportive of my idea. I read about the modern skin biome, and how modern soaps, shampoos and cleaners (basically everything) strip away not only our natural acid mantle, but also all the good bacteria. That squeaky clean feeling after a soapy/lathery shower has been reinforced to mean 'clean' to us. Actually you've just wiped out your natural oils, your acid mantle, destroyed the pH of your skin and killed all the good bugs that help look after your skin, regulate your sweat output and feed/nourish your epidermis.

Among others, including various universities, a company named Mother Dirt in the US (where else?) did some research concerning ammonia oxidising bacteria (specifically Nitrosomonas eutropha) and its effect on cycling nitric oxide and ammonia from sweat. Basically humans have historically always carried this bacteria. It lives in healthy soil, in rivers, and so on. When modern soaps, shampoos and body washes came along, they generally are based on things like sodium lauryl sulfate or derivatives thereof. Even where the product isn't alkaline (your skin is acidic) and doesn't destroy your natural bacteria outright, the SLS will. It literally strips your skin of all the oil and its inhabitants, not just the surface dirt. Not to mention showering in liquid chlorine.

So we become somewhat sterile, except for whatever bugs we catch through the air and from day to day contact. Sweat and its products build up, strip and burn the skin, and there's nothing there to deal with it. You get BO from 'bad' bacteria and there's no good guy to help out.

I was skeptical, but I paid for a bottle of Nitrosomonas bacteria to 'seed' my skin, and swore off soaps and shampoos... and especially Hibiscrub. I sprayed my face, pits and bits with bacteria twice a day, and showered in water (with a chlorine remover in the shower head) when I felt like it. I did use Mother Dirt natural shampoo and skin cleanser every few days - especially at first - as they have no ingredients that destroy or remove your natural bacteria, and are totally plant based. I honestly expected to turn into a smelly, greasy mess and to abandon the little project inside a week. Especially in summer!

It's been almost a month. One hell of a hot month at that. My hair was a little greasy for a few days at first, but now it's naturally soft and bouncy and rinses clean in just water. My skin is amazing. The patch on my leg that the doctor couldn't shift has finally disappeared, and I have a natural oil all over. I'm certainly not greasy, it's just supple and pliant feeling skin vs the cracked, dry flaky red sore skin I had before. Crucially - really crucially - I don't stink. At all. My wife thinks this whole thing is barking, and swore I'd be on the couch the second I had BO... I'm still waiting. In fact she reckons I've never smelt better. I sweat of course, especially in this heat - but it's less than I used to, it has no smell at all (versus the BO I had before on hot days), and a quick two minute rinse under the shower leaves me seriously fresh and smelling neutral again.

Like I said, I was seriously skeptical. But it really does work. Some of the scientists working on this stuff at various universities say they haven't showered in years. Assuming they mean 'with soap' rather than 'at all', I can believe them. I look younger, my skin is finally fixed, and I never smell or get greasy any more. It's a huge transformation and was worth the initial expense. I use a 5p sized drop of their 'shampoo' once or twice a week just to stop anything building up, and wash my face, pits and bits in their cleanser once or twice a week. A bottle will last me almost forever. I genuinely feel like a new person, and not one person has commented negatively (I've not told anyone about this so far), but I've had a few people asking why I look so good lately. My acne has gone (I'm nearly 40!), my pores are invisible, my skin is mega clear and has plumped out - I literally look younger.

The bacteria was hella expensive (about £60 for the bottle) but I honestly can't see the need to buy a new one now this has run out. As long as I don't use soaps the existing colony should survive. Time will tell.

Has anyone else tried this or come across the idea before? I'm a total convert. Please note that the Mother Dirt stuff was just what I happened to come across first. I'm not advertising the damn stuff and I'm sure there are tons of alternatives. It just happens to be what was convenient for me personally. I'm posting about the concept and the practice, not the product I happened to choose to do it with.

In before 'stinky hippy', 'BO Barry', and 'you stink but nobody will tell you' (I have very young kids who are brutally honest, and a city bred wife who thinks anything not sterile is dirty - trust me they'd tell me!).

Edit: it's Mother Dirt not Mother Earth. Sorry.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've not used soaps for about 20 years. My skin is in great condition! Never had spots of any kind even during puberty. No greasyness. No eczema.
Will say pits and gooch need a good scrubbing to keep clean though!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My wife is allergic to soooooo much (paper, glue, perfume, tree moss plus loads of other random chemicals you find in bathroom products).

She’s on triple the normally prescribed dose of antihistamines for similar symptoms to what you describe. Can’t say the “no soap” technique is something she’s considered but I do know she spends loads on special shampoos that don’t contain the perfumes and irritants that you mention (it’s easily £9 a bottle of 300ml). I’ll mention it to her.

Soldato
just use any cheap sulfate free shampoo/cleanser - there's no real difference. 'plant based' is a con and doesn't really mean much - a lot of the time they are worse than synthetic surfactants.

Most of your problems are likely from the sulphates which can be pretty irritating to a lot of people for complicated scientific reasons.
There is nothing inherently wrong with soap but they are quite alkaline and can be quite strong.

Caporegime
I try not to use soap or shampoo too often because it completely dries out my skin and leaves it irritated. And I've tried every brand of soap known to man and woman.

The stuff in shampoo is totally unnatural, and that's pretty much beyond debate. We managed to survive for thousands of years before modern shampoo was invented. Probably had much better skin and hair back then too. Modern hygiene standards are great in hospitals and open-heart surgery but probably completely excessive in every-day living.

I know people who have to scrub themselves two or three times a day and believe they are dirty if they don't. I'm glad I don't feel the same way.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Have been "soap free" pretty much since my teens when washing my face with any type of soap would result in a massive acne flare up.

Just running water and a shower scrub thing. Twice a week use an argan oil conditioner for my hair and fresh clothes daily.

Not been told I have an offensive smell (or much of one at all, I believe apart from a very natural subtle scent once your "bacteria" balances out you are relatively neutral).

If someone wants to tell me I stink it would be a first :D

*edit*

Actually there is a soap I had to use when I got my tattoo, product called Eucerin, smells frikkin divine and gave no issues at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking about getting some new body wash as for the past few weeks I've had a really red eczema like rash on my groin, thinking maybe it's my shower gel! I used to suffer with eczema really bad when I was younge, it seemed to calm a lot but this hot weather has bought it on a lot, on my wrists and the groin... May have to check out the products some of you mention see if they help

Soldato
Hmmmm.

I have an autoimmune condition (Psoriatic arthritis). I feel my dodgy immune system causes me some personal hygiene issues. My "internal thermometer" just seems out of wack. If I get hot, I get REALLY hot. This week I was doing washing up in my underpants dripping in sweat because the hot water on my hands made me super hot! I always feel incredibly hot after I get out the bath / shower, and start sweating. I need to get outside in some shorts ASAP otherwise I start to sweat too much, and end up smelling worse than before I went in! I also sometimes get night sweats and I just feel like I stink all the time really. Due to the psoriasis part, frequent washing can really take its toll on my skin, feels like a loosing battle at times!

Honestly, a magic vile of good bacteria for £60... I'm struggling to take that seriously lol.

I'll do what you said you did though, I'll have a bit of a google, see what I can find.

Soldato
also avoid isothiazolinones - they are pretty irritating and people starting using them as preservatives when idiots decided that parabens were bad (they aren't)

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm.

I have an autoimmune condition (Psoriatic arthritis). I feel my dodgy immune system causes me some personal hygiene issues. My "internal thermometer" just seems out of wack. If I get hot, I get REALLY hot. This week I was doing washing up in my underpants dripping in sweat because the hot water on my hands made me super hot! I always feel incredibly hot after I get out the bath / shower, and start sweating. I need to get outside in some shorts ASAP otherwise I start to sweat too much, and end up smelling worse than before I went in! I also sometimes get night sweats and I just feel like I stink all the time really. Due to the psoriasis part, frequent washing can really take its toll on my skin, feels like a loosing battle at times!

Honestly, a magic vile of good bacteria for £60... I'm struggling to take that seriously lol.

I'll do what you said you did though, I'll have a bit of a google, see what I can find.

That's me. They haven't 100% confirmed it yet but they reckon my arthritis is actually psoriatic arthritis. Same thing with the wonky internal thermometer too lol. I don't sweat and have sore skin after a shower for the first time in forever - I feel refreshed and cool. Just a five minute rinse under coolish water (the chlorine removing shower head was a must for me, imho). Don't rush out and buy expensive bacteria on my say so, that's not why I posted. I don't own shares haha. Just some food for thought and to see if anyone else had similar experiences.

Caporegime
Would explain all the smellies out and about.
Plenty of us who don't shower daily don't smell.

Interesting fact: when people spend a long time in the wilderness away from washing facilities, they smell bad for a few days. Then they find a the typical "BO" type smell goes away and you are left with just a natural, skin smell.

We're conditioned to shower up to three times a day and scrub with soap - but it isn't natural, or even necessary.

Associate
Have been "soap free" pretty much since my teens when washing my face with any type of soap would result in a massive acne flare up.
Same. Haven't washed my face with soap since my teens and wouldn't start doing so now (unless I got doused in an oil slick or something). I consider the rest of my body fair game to 'nuke' with soap though, and it seems to put up with it without ill effect.

Soldato
based on subject this is what I expected
people want to listen to the music in the shower , but generally showers are just too short to catch up on the soaps... so it's a soap free zone.
following recent threads on showering times I suspect teenagers could listen to a complete episode of GoT

edit : but on the other soap - exclusively olive oil soap and 'childs farm'

Soldato
I've not used soaps for about 20 years. My skin is in great condition! Never had spots of any kind even during puberty. No greasyness. No eczema.
Will say pits and gooch need a good scrubbing to keep clean though!

You were born with good skin then. Your natural level of skin oil, propensity to acne and eczema are not going to increase through only washing with water.

Soldato
Over the years I've used so many differnet kinds of soap its a joke and always had issues with feeling dry and itchy and even had my skin starting to crack it got so dry, but for the last year I've been using Sebamed soap and no issues what so ever .

Although I now eat a gluten free diet which has been life changing and had a massive effect

Caporegime
Plenty of us who don't shower daily don't smell.

Interesting fact: when people spend a long time in the wilderness away from washing facilities, they smell bad for a few days. Then they find a the typical "BO" type smell goes away and you are left with just a natural, skin smell.

We're conditioned to shower up to three times a day and scrub with soap - but it isn't natural, or even necessary.

Or they just get used to their stinky BO.

Back
Top Bottom