Going T Total : Any advice please

Soldato
Yeah I'd agree with some others that have mentioned it as well, get some good quality leaf tea or proper coffee (whichever you prefer) and drink that more instead. I don't like coffee personally but there is a world of variety out there for both of them.

PG Tips is not proper tea :D

Soldato
I was waiting for them to appear :)

Yes it refers to god in some of those, but it is of your understanding. If you believe your consciousness is yours then so be it.

Most people who go dont believe in a god. All you do it sit around and discuss your problems, religion doesn't even come into the thing. At-least I've never experienced it in over 200 meetings.

I dont want to get into a debate over it but dont be put off if you think its going to be a load of preaching and hyms and such because it really isnt anything like that at all. Its the only thing thats worked for millions of people to get and stay sober. Its the best place to go if your truly an alcoholic/addict.

I won't pretend to have the same sort of insight to it as someone who has been but if it's genuinely not remotely religious then AA GB's publicly available material is doing an exceptionally poor job at putting that across.

Soldato
Being Straight Edge is easy, anyone that says it's difficult is either easily influenced or isn't strong willed. I've not touched s drink in 9 years, never smoked and never done any drugs

Soldato
You know maybe it is Christian message at the heart of it, its not that I havent thought it myself. But a lot of people are put off thinking its like Church, when that couldn't be further from the truth. There's no hyms, bibles, priests (or even a leader), you just sit and listen or talk if you want to.

If you really need help its the best place to be. Its the only place you'll find a group of like minded people who all want to stop abusing alcohol and drugs. Untreated its likely you'll die from it eventually so anything is worth a go :)

Agreed. If a vehemently anti religious person like me can get along with AA then anyone can. I just focus that no matter what you think God is, you're probably wrong so just appealed to anything. It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you really get step one, which means you really get that you are really bound to a fate of alcoholic misery, then it helps open your mind up a bit. In my case I decided to test that theory by doing it on my own, and things just got worse until I went back broken. That's when I made progress.

The point is that I went, and I met people who understood, so when I was ready to listen I knew where to go.

Associate
Being Straight Edge is easy, anyone that says it's difficult is either easily influenced or isn't strong willed. I've not touched s drink in 9 years, never smoked and never done any drugs

Yeah totally. I've managed to live for 37 years without breaking anything or even needing stitches, anyone who has, must be brittled boned or very clumsy, because it was easy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
And here we have the same old dumb assumption. If you need to be drunk to be find things interesting then you've got serious problems.

I don't think that was the point at all.

Also, how is Elliott not banned yet? I very rarely question the mods on here but for someone to be that disrespectful and get away with it is raising a few questions.

Caporegime
I don't think that was the point at all.

Also, how is Elliott not banned yet? I very rarely question the mods on here but for someone to be that disrespectful and get away with it is raising a few questions.

Yup think I phwooshed it. And Elliott isn't banned as I don't think being an utterly unlikable prat is a bannable offense.

Soldato
Yup and the more we cut down, the worse our tolerance becomes when we stray. Vicious circle. Drink more to avoid.... bad news am I am sure is the slippery slope.

We are reaching out for alternatives.

So far the plan is (after a long chat with my wife)

1. No drinks on school nights.
2. Drinks only on special events / once a week and limit to 1 bottle of wine.
3. If we go out for a meal, drive out of town, no alcohol.
4. Go to AA
5. Ask GP for help
6. Support each other.

Probably what "normal" 40+ year olds do

TBH : T Total is not the answer, maybe use alternatives such as non alcoholic in situations above, but we need help before it destroys us.

Talk to a health professional and find out if you are addicted and then decide what to do. If you are not, then just quit and don't bother with replacements with similar taste. Drink water, tea, coffee etc.
If you are addicted, quitting will not be easy and you will fight yourself for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yup and the more we cut down, the worse our tolerance becomes when we stray. Vicious circle. Drink more to avoid.... bad news am I am sure is the slippery slope.

We are reaching out for alternatives.

So far the plan is (after a long chat with my wife)

1. No drinks on school nights.
2. Drinks only on special events / once a week and limit to 1 bottle of wine.
3. If we go out for a meal, drive out of town, no alcohol.
4. Go to AA
5. Ask GP for help
6. Support each other.

Probably what "normal" 40+ year olds do

TBH : T Total is not the answer, maybe use alternatives such as non alcoholic in situations above, but we need help before it destroys us.

Sorry to be blunt but this won't work, "once a week" and "special occasion" will turn into "crap day at work" and "it's Friday" and before you know it is 3 times a week and you will wonder why you bothered and then all bets are off and you'll just drink everyday again.

You are giving yourself loopholes before you even begun.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sorry to be blunt but this won't work, "once a week" and "special occasion" will turn into "crap day at work" and "it's Friday" and before you know it is 3 times a week and you will wonder why you bothered and then all bets are all and you'll just drink everyday again.

You are giving yourself loopholes before you even begun.

This man is speaking much sense.

Back
Top Bottom