Going T Total : Any advice please

alx

alx

Soldato
Nah it is supposed to be worth trying especially given that the OP wants to try cutting down... maybe OP should go and speak to a GP or other professional though but there is evidence that moderation can be helpful in some circumstances... no reason why he can't initially try moderation then move to abstinence.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/family_health_guide/alcohol-abstinence-vs-moderation

I'd agree moderation would be the first step, but I think the OP mentioned earlier on in the thread that him and his wife have tried moderation before but it hasn't worked so they need something more drastic.

Soldato
We're supposed to have no medical threads on these forums but we have loads of 'experts' giving advice on two people they have no idea about how far down the road they are.
However if I ask about how to remove a zit it will get closed.

In fairness, the guy was originally just asking for alternative drinks not advice on how to quit

Associate
First thing to understand is, it is your problem. No one else can dig you out. Sure you can get help.

But at the end of the day its down to you and you alone.

So stop going to the pub, tell all your friends you have a drinking problem and if they dont support you. Cut the cord and move on, the future is always more important that the past.

I think this is a matter for serious debate. Is it really 'your' problem. I personally think that it has developed to such a huge problem that it is societies problem. When large numbers of a nation of peoples are engaged in an activity that has a detrimental effect on everyone else, surely that makes it the nations problem?

Alcohol abuse is a massive problem that affect EVERYONE, be it directly through actually being heavily addicted to alcohol, or being a victim of alcohol fuelled crime. Or indirectly by merely paying your taxes to fund a health service which is burdened with treating the effects of alcohol.

Now the exact same could be said about the obesity problem and how fatties are crippling the NHS, but then again I believe they are addicted to sugar and the government can do a lot to help them out.

Look at what happened to smoking. It became such a problem that it morphed from 'your' problem to a national problem, hence all the anti smoking measures in place.

To summaries, it is incredibly easy to say that in relation to addictive substances be it nicotine, alcohol, sugar 'its your problem, deal with it' but for the sake of society (and our NHS) maybe a different more top down approach is warranted.

Caporegime
We're supposed to have no medical threads on these forums but we have loads of 'experts' giving advice on two people they have no idea about how far down the road they are.
However if I ask about how to remove a zit it will get closed.

tis more of a grey area

for example alcoholics anonymous was set up by a religious group and has a very poor success rate for the 12 steps program - I don't think they'd claim to be offering any medical advice yet they do offer (potentially useless) advice and support for abstinence (that may or may not be any more effective than simply deciding to quit alcohol yourself without any of the 12 steps/ask God stuff)

Man of Honour
Doesn't seem like that to me. I really dont see it as a medical thread even after some of the 'medical type' posts

I see it differently because I spent 36 months on an NCFE Course in Drugs Awareness. At least 50% of the course was devoted to alcohol and what a nasty drug it is. I also did a stint at a Centre for Drug Misusers so when I see some of the comments in this thread I don't like it.

And in this last hour one of my great friends Korky has died because of alcohol misuse.

Soldato
Exactly and now it's turned into armchair medical experts.

I don't know, I think it's a grey area. When the defacto go to solution is a completely unregulated religiously derived group like AA, then it's hard to make the argument that advice on how to quit alcohol is strictly medically related. Same as quitting smoking.

Ultimately what the forum wants to avoid is people being told their cancerous growth is just a fat lump by online numpties and dying 3 months later, followed by their family suing Overclockers for facilitating negligent medical advice. That isn't going to happen from a thread like this though.

Back
Top Bottom