Going to re do my gcse's

Associate
As the title says I'm looking into returning to college to re do my english and maths gcse's then go on to do maths, english, science, history for my A levels, and maybe just maybe get into a university at some point.

I'm tired of being turned down by employers due to my awful grades.

I got a D in english and a E in maths and a D in science if you want to know how bad it is, but I will say that I honestly didn't revise one bit for any of my gcse's, stupid I know but back then I didn't care, but as my life goes I always learn the hard way :)

I'm still young barely 20 so it's not like I don't have time to go back.

Anyone else in or has been in my position? :p

Also I seem to have lost all of my revision books and have no idea which ones I should buy or which are the best ones. I haven't enrolled yet or anything I'm just trying to get a head start. :D

Also someone over on thestudentroom.co.uk forums just recommended me to take an access to higher education course which should be less time consuming?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Aren't the access to higher education courses quite intensive though? Maybe you should consider whether you will be able to cope.

It's only 1 year I'm sure I'll live but they also do less intensive courses from what I've just read which last up to 2-3 years.

*Copied from Access website

Most Access to HE Diplomas can be completed in a year or less. For one-year courses, you will typically study for up to 16 hours a week in college (though there is some variation between different colleges), as well as doing a certain amount of private study outside classes. However, many people with family or work commitments prefer to study over two or more years, and most courses allow you to do this.

Also do university's tend to frown upon people who have done access courses or would that only be the top university's?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least 30% of people have degrees. 1 out of 10 people probably have a PHD. So its not even worthwhile. Having a degree is just like having a parking ticket...everyone had one.

Even if you are getting awards at school and uni for high marks dont expect to get a job out off it or to make any adavantage in your job hunting progress.

I recommend chose a trade. Sparky, joiner, plumber?

Lol this guy.

Associate
OP
If OP is serious about going to Uni then I 100% suggest an Access to HE course.

It varies. What Moses commented on may be from his own experience. Before I started my course we were reguarly told that this would be the case. It is mostly down to setting enough time aside and showing up to all the classes. Although other Access groups would often say that they were struggling.

During my Business course we started with 23 and 11 finished. There were also a few working full time but they had to give this up due to the weekly schedule. It will vary and I suggest speaking to the College you want to study at.

Of the people that applied to Uni from my Business course (and finished it), everyone got accepted. I'm now starting a Computer Science degree next week at Cardiff University, which isn't a crap Uni.

As long as the University accepts Access students there is every chance of getting in. This can be checked out by ringing the Uni you're interested in and asking.

I'd also add that there are different levels of Access that you study from. You are assessed before the year begins on English and Math. Depending on you're score will depend on the level of Access you go into. If you're score is good the course will be 1 year (level 3). If you are slightly below competant levels you may be asked to do a 2 year course (level 2) and if you are terrible there is a 3 year course (level 1).

There is an advantage by doing a 2 year course in that English and Math can be done at GCSE level. When studying at level 3 English and Math is not at GCSE level (at least where I went) as it was deemed to much workload for the year, instead we had an equivalent qualification that wasn't as comprehensive as the work done during a GCSE. The other advantage by doing a 2 year course is that you won't need to study English and Math when you go into the final year.

This probably won't be exactly the same for every College so ring and find out, I completed my Access course in the summer and prior to that Access had changed greatly over the previous 3 years.

Having no kids and leaving full time employment I had more than enough time to complete the course, I had Distinctions for every single assignment - it was that easy (as long as you turn up evey lecture and do the work at home). One thing to note though is that there are ZERO exams, I didn't think this was a good thing personally, the entire course was assignment based.

When I did my Access course it entailed of certain level 2 mandatory subjects whilst completing my level 3.

English
Math
Study Skills
Tutorial

But again, things may be different at you're local College. Also note that Access has started for this year about 1/2 weeks ago, it may be hard to get on a course at this point now.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, I don't think I'm going to take maths on the access course now other than maths and english at gcse level.

From looking on the Access website it seems not all courses are available at all colleges and is actually very limited.

Back
Top Bottom