Golf!

Soldato
I'm bored, so let's play golf.

Step 1: Make a program that produces this output (note how it changes for one bottle).

Step 2: Condense that program so it's as small as you can possibly get it while still working.

Step 3: Curse as some horrible person gets it down to 5 bytes somehow.

Any language, go go go!

I've got an embarrassing 245 bytes with PHP so far; let's see what you can do!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here's my 245. I can't get it smaller than that :(

Code:
<? for($j=$i=99;$i>0;$i--){$f="%d bottle%s of beer";$g=" on the wall";printf("$f$g, $f.\n",$i,$s=$i==1?'':'s',$i,$s);printf((--$j>0?"Take one down and pass it around":"Go to the store and buy some more").", $f$g.\n\n",$j==0?99:$j,$j==1?'':'s');}

Soldato
OP
Actually, 243:

Code:
<? for($j=$i=99;$i>0;){$f="%d bottle%s of beer";$g=" on the wall";printf("$f$g, $f.\n",$i,$s=$i==1?'':'s',$i--,$s);printf((--$j>0?"Take one down and pass it around":"Go to the store and buy some more").", $f$g.\n\n",$j==0?99:$j,$j==1?'':'s');}

Soldato
OP
235:

Code:
<? for($j=$i=99;$i>0;){$f="%d bottle%s of beer";$g=" on the wall";printf("$f$g, $f.\n".(--$j>0?"Take one down and pass it around":"Go to the store and buy some more").", $f$g.\n\n",$i,$s=$i==1?'':'s',$i--,$s,$j==0?99:$j,$j==1?'':'s');}

Edit: I don't think it's getting any smaller than this :( I still don't see how people have got sub-200!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suck far far too much at Ruby :(

Code:
99.downto(0){|i|j=(i==0)?"99":(i-1).to_s;i=i.to_s;s=(i==1)?"":"s";z=(j==1)?"":"s";puts i+" bottle"+s+" of beer on the wall, "+i+" bottle"+s+" of beer.\n"+(i=="0"?"Go to the store and buy some more":"Take one down and pass it around")+", "+j+" bottle"+z+" of beer on the wall.\n\n"}

(281 with loads of potential for reduction)

Soldato
OP
Can't you get it even smaller by using braces instead of end? Also doesn't it use the singular for 0 bottles too?

Nicely done though, I love Ruby for stuff like this :)

Soldato
OP
growse said:
Code:
$w=" on the wall";$i=99;print$i.&s."$w, $i".&s.". ".(--$i?"Take one down and pass it around, $i":'Go to the store and buy some more, 99').&s."$w."while$i;sub s{' bottle'.($i!=1?'s':'').' of beer'}

197. I (more like, this guy I know) wins!

Perl should be banned from Golf competitions :(

Back
Top Bottom