Good day OcUK Forums

Man of Honour
clv101 wrote

Might it not be a good idea to actually wait until you've got the new PC, loaded the games and seen what it's like? Isn't it quite possible that the current setup will be fine? Whilst faster configurations do exist that doesn't mean you can't get a good game out of what you've got.

Don't forget not all games support Sli and the ones that don't will absolutely crucify a 6600le. It is an awful card that has been crippled to death. Specs are below:

GeForce 6600 LE NV43 256MB DX 9.0c Core speed 300mhz, Memory speed 500mhz, memory bus 128 bit, Pixel Pipelines 4.

How any pc manufacturer can put a pair of these in a pc, even in Sli, and call it a gaming pc is beyond me. If you have the chance, and it does sound like you do if you do not recieve it untill the 27th, then change these cards for a better single card such as a 7800gt if you want to go Sli later or the X1800XT if you don't want Sli. If you go for the ATI card maybe change the motherboard to a single pci-e slot one too as it might even the extra cost out a bit. Either of these single cards will be much faster than the two 6600LE's.

Soldato
clv101 said:
Might it not be a good idea to actually wait until you've got the new PC, loaded the games and seen what it's like? Isn't it quite possible that the current setup will be fine? Whilst faster configurations do exist that doesn't mean you can't get a good game out of what you've got.
Sorry but SLI 6600LE's are carp.
And everyone on this forum knows it.
He says he wants to run FEAR.
SLI 6600LE's will run it - badly.

Definitely worth the upgrade to a GOOD single card, like X1800XT.

Associate
OP
Ok I will be getting the system at the end of the month but due to a finance agreement I can change anything to the system unless I want to cancell the whole lot and re order, which will take nearly another month.

What I plan to do is sell the 6600LE's for roughly £80/£100 for the both and put about £150 to it and upgrade to either a X1800 XT 512MB or else 2x 7800GT 256MB's in SLI if I can afford them ok. I would love the 2x 7800's as I know that would be a better option but its all down to money.

Looks like my 360 is put off for another while.

Soldato
xknight2000 said:
Or would getting a single X1900XT be better than two 7800GT's in SLi?

Single X1900XT and 2x1Gb TBH. 2Gb is only starting to come into its own now, 4Gb, esp on current Mem controllers could prove troublesome.

Conc

Associate
OP
I have been looking at what is the best value for money and I had narrowed it down to either the X1900 or the 7900. With already having an SLi board I have decided to go with the 7900 GTX with the hope of getting another in a couple of weeks to go with 2 7900GTX's.

Thanks for all the help, you have all made things a lot clearer to me.

Back
Top Bottom