Good meatball sauce?!

Associate
I made meatballs this evening.....meatballs good, meatball sauce not so good.

My recipe was

1 large onion,
2 cloves garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1tbsp puree
1tbsp sugar
salt / pepper
cumin, chilli flakes and paprika

for meatballs
250g mince
1 egg
1/8 cheese
1/4 breadcrumbs
garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.

Consistency wise the sauce was nice (blended smooth) but lacking somewhere. Anyone want to share their recipe?

Soldato
Mine is nothing too special - passatta, finely diced onion, bacon (cut into small thin strips), couple of cloves of garlic, bit of salt. Cheese on top is a must!

Or, for Ikea-style - make up a white sauce then mix in some beef stock (made up with boiling water) and soy sauce. Cheats way (to avoid the inevitable lumps unless you are a good white sauce maker) is to use cream instead of the white sauce!

Soldato
What kind of meatballs? Italian meatballs?

Make the meatballs with mince, garlic, parsley and a bit of egg to bind. Dust them with flour.

Fry onion carrot and celery in a pan for ~5min. And the meatballs and cook until browner on all sides. Add passata and lower to a simmer. Cook for 30-40min. Season to taste.

daz

daz

Soldato
A squeeze of ketchup is a must with something like this, alternatively (or even in addition), you could try a splash of worcester sauce or nam pla (fish sauce) for a similar flavour.

Associate
My wife makes these, Porpetti (meatballs) as she is Italian, passed down recipe and all that and I love 'em. I can't remember the exact recipe, Hell why else did I get married if I needed to cook...lol, but yeah for the sauce, pretty much fried onions, garlic, passata (tinned toms will do but not so good) and a good splodge of puree to boot, season it up with salt and black pepper. Ours is normally bubbling away for about 3hrs.

Soldato
I like to keep the tomato sauce simple to let the flavour of the meatballs come through.

olive oil
garlic
tinned plum tomatoes, chopped
basil + seasoning

meatballs:
good quality pork+beef mine
egg
grated parmesan
dried oregano
crushed garlic
breadcrumbs

Last edited: