Good socket A clocking board?

Soldato
The other good board from the Skt A NForce2 era was the ABit NF7-S, it was a fantastic mobo, very much ABits high water mark, they went down hill after that.

You'll have to look hard to find one though :(

omi

omi

Associate
i've got one of them :)

probably selling it off in a month or two if i finally have enough cash to upgrade.

Soldato
Seen some good 939 kit going cheap a lot lately, could be a very cheap upgrade if you catch the bargains at you know where or clearence at certain other etailers.

Associate
I shouldn't get too excited about overclocking an XP 3200, most aren't good overclockers and have locked multi's. But you might get lucky and find one that will OC nicely.
The NF7-S (rev. 2) is a good overclocker for nf2, NOT the NF7-S2 which is a different and rubbish OC board. But i don't think many of the NF7-S boards will go much over 220FSB (440DDR) and still be stable.
They can often be found on a well known auction site.

Soldato
Just to clarify something are you looking for a new cpu or new mb and cpu?

Read your original post and it says your wanting a cpu to overclock? And here we all are giving you mb recomendations.

Best overclocking cpu for socket A is a mobile one. Either 2400/2500/2600 will do as long as its a low voltage one 1.45/1.35v

They sell for about half the price of a xp3200 so it could be a nice upgrade that puts cash in your pocket!!!

Not sure how present mb will cope with it tho as not familiar with it. You need to be able to have multy adjustment as the mobile will default at 6x100 as most desktop boards fail to recognise it.

Have a good search around this forum and you will find plenty of stuff about mobile from a couple of years ago.

Associate
OP
No, I HAVE a 3200+ XP CPU, and I HAVE the GA-7N400 Pro2!
As I have this spanking conroe (when Corsair decide to send me an RMA number so I can return the duff memory! Its only been 4 days so far!! Reply within 24 hrs my arse!!) I want to clock the arse off my old PC, just for fun!!
I can only get the FSB up to about 208MHz, but I am sure with the right mobo I could get more out of it!
I have read the Gigabyte was about the worst at anything and everything!

Back
Top Bottom