Good spot to live in the Uk?

Soldato
My little one is 3 now and as much as I like living in zone 2 it’s time to think about moving to somewhere with a little more space.

I’m quite open to suggestions, we would need 2 houses 800 to 900k each
(Taking my child care with me lol) ideally close to good independent schools, nice town with good shops, coffee shops and restaurants and nice places to walk and at least 2 A&Es not too far away.

I looked at Chichester and Royal Tunbridge Wells which are both nice and house prices are not terrible.

Any other suggestions? There seem to be nice houses around Cambridgeshire.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
While I love Edinburgh it’s too far away. I had a look around Devon last week. It’s lovely but again just takes so long to get anywhere.

2nd house because me and my partner are both shift workers so need to move my parents to help with school runs. They are retired so they don’t need to be in london now.

St Albans would be lovely but out of my price range for a decent house and the point of leaving london is for more space in and out of the house.

I know it sounds like a healthy budget but actually since covid there is not much around at that price point.

I’m in the process of researching areas now hence the post.

Soldato
OP
Biggest I have 2 million quid willy waving thread of the year.

i don’t. Parents will sell their house and buy a new one. They are not rich but bought their house ages ago and now retired.

I will sell my flat but still take on a huge mortgage.

Raymond. That’s the point. I’m exploring now. I only really came back to the Uk in 2015 and don’t really know much outside the M25 (and sheffield) for a short time.

while I love what chiswick/ Hammersmith has to offer it’s just too expensive for anything more than a small flat.

im taking Lots of weekend trips to explore and try and find the ideal spot to bring up a child and find a nice quality if life.

Soldato
OP
Sorry I have not been back here, been really busy with work the last few days, thanks for all the useful suggestions, its given me lots of useful ideas. We visited Harpenden this week and loved the town but it's as expensive as London lol. Going to look at Ely next week, Bath is a good shout but I need to see if we can actually find a decent place in the budget which I doubt.

We went to Gilford a few months ago and quite liked it. I also visited Winchester which again was lovely.

For the record, yes I have had to fight with dyslexic my whole life but still pushed though. I have no idea why its just the way my brain works. I like to think I am quite good at my job but I cant spell to save my life however I could save yours if get hit by a car, shot, stabbed, need a tube putting down your throat and put into a coma so the machine can breath for you, have a massive, PE, stork, heart attack so yes maybe I my sell your name wrong but your life will be in good hands.

Op have you considered Norfolk? Loads of lovely villages and scenic walks and obviously Norwich for hospitals.

House prices don't quite attract the Cotswolds or Lakes premiums either.

P.S. try and ignore the envious people in here. It's a shame that people aren't impressed rather than jealous. When I see people with nice things it makes me want to work harder to get it too, but I guess for some it just makes them bitter by reminding them of their poor life choices.

Norwich is really high up on the list as my brother is there and its a very nice little town, its good good resturants, good school and house prices are the most affordable out of all the places we looked at.

We did not last too long there and moved back to London 6 months later, but life situation was different at the time.

What's the need for 2 A+E's? I get the reason for wanting to be near 1, but why 2? I'm guessing based on your name it might be work related.

What sort of requirements are you looking for in the house? 900k could buy you a shed with loads of land in the middle of nowhere, or could also buy you a 6 bedroom apartment in the middle of town.

I work in A&E and my partner in ITU. We really wanted something mid-sized with a decent garden, ie 200m2c(ish) and 0.3 to 1 acre of land.

Does not have to be huge. Just spacious in a nice area.

Derbyshire

I lived there for a while with my ex, it was not really for me.

Back to the original problem though, you're going to have an absolute mare trying to find two properties in a desirable rural location at the moment with that sort of budget. Everyone I know that bought London property >10 years ago is in the process of cashing out and moving to the country.....

Yep, that is the issue I know it sounds like a big budget but at the moment most things under £1m are in such huge demand which is what has pushed us to look at going further out of london and ever if you find something you end up getting outbid even if you offer asking price. We fell in love with a house, offerd asking price within a day or 2 of it coming on the market but the owners decided to hold out for a higher price lol.

Too far away for what?

lol that is true, somehow I feel I am willing to leave London but still feel some need to be south. No idea why.

We still have lots of time as aim to move anytime between now and September (start of school).

Back
Top Bottom