Good value comms setup for pillion helmet?

Soldato
Already got a Freecom 4x for myself but need something for pillion helmet.

Clear comms is the aim. Good mic.

The 4x is not mesh but do not want for group riding, just for myself and pillion.

Thinking of a Spirit. I have some spare 40mm JBL so thought could use them with the Spirit instead of springing for the Spirit HD.

Associate
Old post I know. What did you end up using?

Me & the wife both use Cardo Packtalk Slim. Pretty good system (we use the mesh connection instead of Bluetooth. Not sure why, there must have been a reason but I can't remember now). It took ages to get the headphones in exactly the right position for maximum volume/bass.
On long journeys I'll also use pinlock earplugs. Bizarrely, these seem to improve the audio quality of music through the Cardo, as well as hopefully saving my hearing.

Soldato
OP
I got a Cardo Spirit which does the job cheaply. Did not use the speakers though, I had some 40mm JBL's spare so used them.

One thing I am missing is the ability to Stream music AND talk at the same time which is a shame. Would be nice if music muted when pillion spoke and then carried on once communication finished.

I agree, same problem getting them to sound "just right", lots of fiddling. Use earplugs too.

Last edited:
Associate
Our Cardos stream music, mute when we chat, and then resume music play afterwards. Mine also mutes music playback when the tomtom speaks, and resumes the music afterwards. If the wife tries to chat whilst the tomtom is chatting to me it just talks over her.
It took ages one afternoon to figure it all out. The Cardo instructions were pretty useless.
I have to turn on the bike first which boots up the tomtom. Then I switch on my Cardo headset, then and only then, the missus is allowed to turn on her headset. If we turn things on in the wrong order then I can't hear the tomtom.

Associate
Lol more than once I've wished we could go back to the days before we had the intercom. Quick chat here & there when we're stationary or at low speed and no girly screams in my ears when I'm filtering :D
It was brilliant coming back after a European tour earlier this year when my headset lost battery charge on the m25. Utter bliss. No music though which was a bit of a bummer...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom