Google Begins Testing Its Augmented-Reality Glasses

Soldato
Do you currently have to wear glasses?

I can't see anyone that don't already wear glasses wearing these.

I'd feel uber silly wearing them :(

Wear contacts but previously wore glasses for many years. Can wear them nno worries.

I am also a veteran contact wearer so will have the jump on you 20:20 lot when you are poking your eyes and crying like little girls trying to use your new tech lenses :D

Take that non-vision compromised suckers! :D

Soldato
To be honest the biggest application I see for this is emergency services, military, professionals with a need for this kind of instant access data - Couriers, persons who work largely with hands but need visualised data etc

AGD

AGD

Soldato
This is rather cood but hasn't the army already been experimenting with huds in contact lenses for a while?

Soldato
How awesome. I'd snap up a pair in an instant, that is, if they actually worked like that, with the smoothness, free of obvious bugs and such.

Plus I can't wear contact lenses, and I think these have a cool, hi-tech look to them.

Associate
The New York Times had previously suggested that the first set of glasses would go on sale before the end of the year for somewhere between $250-$600 (£157-£378) - but experts say that the technology shown in the video may still be some way off being ready for market.
BBC News

Before the end of the year? I don't believe that. I reckon it would take 5-10 more years of innovation before we get anything like the video. I'm thinking of batteries mainly.

Caporegime
BBC News

Before the end of the year? I don't believe that. I reckon it would take 5-10 more years of innovation before we get anything like the video. I'm thinking of batteries mainly.

If its using your phone as the power horse, it wouldn't need much batter power. It could also use some sort of solar power I'd imagine? Or even kinective charging?

But then its going to destroy your phone battery.

Soldato
BBC News

Are you mad?

In 5-10 years this tech would have been out, matured and superseded.

The tech is sound and available. A Smartphone can get a full days heavy usage these days and needs to do FAR more work than this wearable HUD interface.

All it takes is someone to put it into a consumable package, at the right price point, with the right goal. Android is already well established, already supports the voice recognition, image recognition (Google Goggles f.ex) and has all the back end required.

This is literally just an interface to your Smartphone.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
We'll see, but the girls won't like them. 16-30's main concern is looking good infront of women, unless it becomes 'fashion' then there is NO chance it will take off.

I haven't seen something more wrong being posted since the great custard cream debate in the other thread.

The only thing that might stop it taking off big time is price and I can't imagine it being out of range for most people anyway especially since all the cool kids seem to be able to afford the latest iPhones.

Anyway, it's by Google, everyone knows them and loves the brand and its services. Everyone knows what Android is now as well and it's an established system in the mobile world that's taking over at a speedy pace every month compared to the competition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom