Google Begins Testing Its Augmented-Reality Glasses

Soldato
Most people don't live the life of a PR/Marketing teams wet-dream vision of Balloon Rides, BMX Surfing, Shark diving etc. With thousands of attractive friends genuinely interested in your life above and beyond their own to share it all with. So I really don't see how these will impact the majority of people who'll only ever use them indoors to argue on the internet with strangers and search for silly pictures of cats to repost endlessly to people who actively hate you.

Nail. Head.

Also...how many problems are there already with people being mugged for mobile phones which are kept hidden in pockets most of the time.

This thing is going to be twice the price at least and strapped to your head constantly...I just can't see it taking off.

I think the main question is what can it do that a phone can't? Not much from what I could see.

Soldato
I still think this is a gimmicky product designed purely for Google to sell even more targeted location based advertising. I'm all for wearable computing, but straight on to my eyeballs or not at all please. Who actively *wants* to wear glasses all day :/

Caporegime
Pre-order price is $1,500 for the developers edition :o

Not sure how many would get them for that price.

well mostly just the serious ones I'd guess....

i.e. the guy who makes yet-another-calculator/other duplicate app for android/iphone in his bedroom isn't going to get one yet

someone/some team who make a living from mobile apps and who have a potentially marketable idea for this thing probably would

Man of Honour
I went to the theatre tonight and thought about these glasses...I wonder how they will manage them in the cinema, theatre etc? There are obviously heavy restrictions on photography/recordings relating to piracy, but it would be very difficult to control the use of these glasses.

Back
Top Bottom