Google maps API advice

Soldato
Hi all,

Started to use google maps for something work related and as it's limited to 10 layers it's just not going to as I want.

So, GoogleMaps API, does anyone know if this allows you to use more than 10 layers?

We've got consultants all over England and Wales. The company uses spreadsheets to keep their info but there is several different versions, none are correct and it's a pain to track them all.

So, I am thinking of a database to hold the info, pull it out and use javascript to put it on a GoogleMap with the ability to chose certain info. Only show consultants under certain area managers etc.

Does that sound plausible enough? not too hard considering my PHP are very basic and I know nothing about javascript. Anything I need to consider?

Also, any resources on working with google maps api would be great :D

Associate
Definitely plausible and straight forward with some simple php and javascript.

The google maps documentation should be sufficient? You're not really doing anything out of the ordinary, just passing the page the results of a database query to pin :p.

Caporegime
I don't understand why you want more than 10 layers?

Seems like you just want to add load of marker pins that open a up an info window with your own html div. That is pretty straightforward and is all done with 1 layer. what will you use the other layers for?

Soldato
OP
Definitely plausible and straight forward with some simple php and javascript.

The google maps documentation should be sufficient? You're not really doing anything out of the ordinary, just passing the page the results of a database query to pin :p.

Thanks, i figured it wouldn't be too hard but wanted to make sure before I plowed time in to it.

I don't understand why you want more than 10 layers?

Seems like you just want to add load of marker pins that open a up an info window with your own html div. That is pretty straightforward and is all done with 1 layer. what will you use the other layers for?

When I was using normal google maps I was using 1 layer for each area manager and pinning all their consultants. This way I could turn on and off different area managers so that only certain ones are visible.

However I guess you are right, if I am programming it I can have buttons that simply reload the map with the required pins.

Back
Top Bottom