Google Pixel 5

Soldato
I'm surprised there's no thread for Pixel 5, they are normally released around October which isn't very far off.

I skipped the Pixel 4 and opted for a OnePlus 7T last year (with no regrets). I'm now weighing up either Pixel 5 XL, OnePlus 8 Pro or skipping an upgrade this year.

Has the Pixel interest waned?

Edit:

The next Google hardware launch event will happen on September 30, 2020.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/google-hardware-2020-1158405/amp/

Reviews

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...review-google-back-to-basics-light-low-specs?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This is my exact thing. I love Google, but if it heard you once, sees you look up something once, that's all it serves you.

I don't watch football but my friend posted something in a group chat so I clicked the link - now it's all I get in my Google feed. Really annoying.

That's why you get the option to correct the error by selecting "not interested in..."

Soldato
OP
Your submitting to their surveillance makes it harder for those of us who are fighting for your freedom.

Portraying yourself as an altruistic freedom fighter is an interesting interpretation. :p

I like the Google features too, particularly the maps facilities like sharing my journey progress with the wife etc.. I just used my timeline to fill in an expense form for mileage.

Soldato
OP
What functionality do you mean?

I was driving into Aberdeen today and couldn't remember if there were restrictions. "Hey Google, is Aberdeen in lockdown" resulted in search results for "Is Aberdeen in locked in". Ok, my Scottish accent etc.. so I tried again more clearly (i.e. shouted at the phone :D) and I got a news article from August 12 read out to me.

I don't find it very useful.

Soldato
OP
It looks like there's only 2GB of RAM between them? If that's the case I'd probably prefer the XL for extra screen real estate, unless there's a stupid massive notch there again.

Actually, looks like the XL is a 60Hz screen...

Soldato
OP
Apple hardware is absolutely top notch. Ignore the paper specs, the hardware is built to the most exacting standards.

It all comes down to Android or iOS

I like Android over OS and the hardware choice is obviously better with Android, but the privacy issues are starting to annoy me. Maybe I should start an Android privacy tips thread and see what everyone is doing to keep things safe and secure. :)

Back
Top Bottom