Google Pixel 5

Soldato
Google will do the usual and sell out last stock at probably 529 soon. Will they have stock in UK at that price? Your guess.

Id be willing to wait if they will be producing a new model no bigger than the pixel 5, but indications suggest their models are getting bigger?

if I cant get a Pixel 5 or 4a, then my only choice for size i want is then the iPhone 12.

Soldato
Need a new phone and after research am drawn to Pixel.

Pixel 5 is perfect size. I do not want bigger than 6" (ooh err missus).

But its still £600 with a new model coming out in a couple months. I'd buy it now at £500, but I don't think it should still be at RRP at £600.

The new Pixel 5a coming out possibly this month, although its mostly rumour, suggests that its a bigger phone like the current Pixel 4a 5G.

Pixel 4a also looks ok, but presumably there will soon be a replacement for that too?

What should I do here? Wait, but risk that all the phones get bigger and are therefore ruled out? Or buy Pixel 5 now at what I think is an inflated price for EOL.

Why would you expect a price reduction ? Have Apple reduced the 12 ?

Tbh, probably wrong month to buy a new phone, the two that you want will likely see a price reduction over the next 8 weeks. Certainly in the refurb market

Soldato
I'm personally waiting for the 5 to drop on third party sites like the 4 did about 6 months back.

My 3XL is great, but I'd love a 90hz screen and smaller phone. Really wish I went with the normal sized 3

Soldato
Installed the Android 12 beta 4 this morning and all good so far. Natwest app works, paypal works, no hiccups yet. scrolling through newsfeed screen is a bit juddery but aside from that all seems fine and dandy. Was concerned I might lose settings and things but the updated process acted exactly like a normal android pixel update with no dramas.
Thumbs up!

Soldato
The charger situation is what is mainly stopping me. I'd have to replace most of my existing chargers and charging cables which is a considerable extra expense.

And ive heard of no end of lightning connectors breaking they seem very flimsy.

Otherwise its a nice phone.

Apple lightning cables are bean counted to the zillionth of a cent, but you can buy a 4 pack of other lightning to usb-a cables for less than a tenner on Amazon. Lightning to usb c are a bit more expensive but not much. You shouldn’t need to replace your chargers.

Soldato
Installed the Android 12 beta 4 this morning and all good so far. Natwest app works, paypal works, no hiccups yet. scrolling through newsfeed screen is a bit juddery but aside from that all seems fine and dandy. Was concerned I might lose settings and things but the updated process acted exactly like a normal android pixel update with no dramas.
Thumbs up!
I'm getting close to installing it but rely on HSBC business and personal banking apps so don't know if I should risk it! Is google pay working ok?

Soldato
I'm getting close to installing it but rely on HSBC business and personal banking apps so don't know if I should risk it! Is google pay working ok?
Tested it earlier and works fine... glad I checked it before going out to dinner later as would have been embarressing if it didnt work when paying for the bill.... thanks for the prompt!!

May be a placebo effect but in general the phone definitely seems smoother vs android 11. Fingerprint reader seems less fussy too.

Tested it earlier and works fine... glad I checked it before going out to dinner later as would have been embarressing if it didnt work when paying for the bill.... thanks for the prompt!!

May be a placebo effect but in general the phone definitely seems smoother vs android 11. Fingerprint reader seems less fussy too.
every time this is said, and every time it's also said when a new phone comes out.

"wow it's so fast".

one small update comes out

"wow my phone feels so fast now"

:D

i would definetly say it seems lke a placebo effect

Soldato
every time this is said, and every time it's also said when a new phone comes out.

"wow it's so fast".

one small update comes out

"wow my phone feels so fast now"

:D

i would definetly say it seems lke a placebo effect

Totally agree. I think the reality is that because the phone looks smoother it now feels smoother... as in the way all the widgets and icons have a unified look like (dare i say it) iOS makes if feel faster as everything looks like it belongs there... if that makes sense!

Soldato
Pixel 5 is actually really good performer overall.. but the 2 main things I can constantly see it struggling with is storage speed - gallery, picture saving and CPU.. when it comes to processing things.. say picture edit, video saving etc

Soldato
My P5 appears to be a gonner. It has been in a bootloop for the last give minutes. Will not even hold recovery mode.

Purchased day 1 from Google so should still be in warranty.

EDIT: NVM. Apparently after 20 minutes in a bootloop it fixes itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5A still presents a brilliant phone for the money imo. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people who don't want to spend bigger money on a phone.

By the time the 6a is out I might be tempted to swap my 5 for it.

Soldato
Will probably be getting a 5a. Currently limping along with my old Sony XZ1.

The Pixel 'a' phones seem to be the only Androids out there that aren't a bigger body than my Sony, and this one is on my limit as far as how uncomfortable it is in my pocket.

Back
Top Bottom